What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pc

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I am looking for a new PC. Does anybody know of any good deals going on right now? I'm not looking for anything special, just a good dependable pc for about $500.
No Pak I'm not getting a MAC.

Dell is really good.~Niki~

traditionally, Dell has had a terrible reliabilty rating.
among the worst. although maybe they have improved lately.
I bought a new PC 2 years ago and did a ton of research at the time, and everyone said "avoid Dell like the plague"..
but that was 2 years ago..

I bought a HP, have used it every day for the past 2 years, and have had zero problems with it.

here are some current ratings from PCworld:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119494,00.asp

(hey! look at that! Dell is #1! ;)
that tells you what personal advice is worth! ;)

I dont know how "unbiased" PCworld magazine would be..since all the big computer makers are also advertisers..
for true, unbiased reviews, your best-bet is consumer reports.
I just checked their webpage, and you cant see reviews on-line unless you are a subscriber.
go to the library and look for past issues of consumer reports, im sure they have done PC reviews lately..

Scot

Uh ohhhh.... Scotty just recomended HP to Ozzy! When he asked me on IM last night I sugested Compaq (now the same as HP) and Ozzy jumped all over me. Dunno what Compaq ever did to him... I've owned Compaq for all the years I've owned computers (cept my current one that I built from scratch) and never had any problems.... Scotty was just kidding Ozzy... He wasn't recomending HP to you.... LOL

We have three Dells here at home and we've had no problems with them at all.We've had them for years now.My dad is a computer freak and if anyone ever asks him what type of pc to get he'll say Dell instantly.~Niki~

I've a hp pavilion mx70 (at least that's what it said on the monitor) since Dec 2002. It has not had a hardware problem since I purchased it. This is the FIRST computer where I haven't had to replace parts in this length of time.

Can't remember the price but it was much cheaper than my first computer that cost $1200 and was so much slower.

Isn't it great that computer prices just keep dropping. Wish cars had gone down in price as most technology does over time. They'd be costing us about $1 for a new car today.

Dang...you beat me to it...
smile_h_32.gif
You didn't even give me a chance!

But you can't stop me! GET A MAC!!!
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

hi ozzy
Is it a new set up or are you going for an up grade?There are some good deals depends what sort of set up your going for?
bye for now Julian

Darla swears by HP, my laptop is a Dell, i havent had any problems with it. for desk top i would get a HP, for a laptop it would be a toss up between HP and Dell depending on what features and how much you want to spend.

I've had an IBM since 2000. It has never failed in any respect and I can hook up most of the fancy new stuff to it without problems. Not a popular brand, but in my experience, fairly inexpensive and dependable nonetheless.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Isn't it great that computer prices just keep dropping. Wish cars had gone down in price as most technology does over time. They'd be costing us about $1 for a new car today.

This was posted on the CPUK forum recently (thanks Mike) - thought it was relevant here:

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way
computers have enhanced our lives, read on.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the
computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up
with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving
$25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon"

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release
stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving
cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to
buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You
could have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the
windows, shut off the car, restart it, and then reopen the windows
before you could continue For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause
your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would
have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable,
five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only
five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all
be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation"
warning light.

7. Before deploying, the airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?"

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out
and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door
handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced, the car buyer would have to
learn how to drive all over again, because none of the controls would
operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn off the engine.
Please share this with your friends who love - but sometimes hate -their
computer!

I had a technical support problem with Dell that was so traumatic and unpleasant that even now, three or so years later, I still cannot talk about it.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out
and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door
handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

My van did this, bit it also jumped into a ditch by itself.

Here's the story.

Capslock same story with me with compaq. I refused to pay for the pc and told them to come get the piece of ####.

My dad has 2 dells and has had HDD problems with both.  One was a desk top and one was a lap top.  He now had an HP Laptop too.  I had an Emachine and every drive has went out in it except the HDD and the motherboard has went out two times.  I have built my computer now and working fine.  Compacs are junk to IMO they HATE AOL.  Something about them.  I wouldnt own another.  If you have a computer now and don't plan on using it I would look into building one.  I just built mine for less than 500.  I used the HDD and memory and CPU out of my POS Emachine.  Oh and bought a new copy of XP pro off ebay for 100.  Its not hard to build, but you have to be into that thing and do some reseach if you never have upgraded or anything before.  As I mentioned before my dad was a dell man till he started having a TON of problems with both of his.  He liked his ne HP.  Personaly I would build because you can replace parts that go bad instead of having to buy a proprietary part from say dell or HP or compac.  If the Motherboard goes bad you have to replace with their motherboard.  So I hear anyways.

If you build or buy a brand I would recomend not getting a celeron. There is nothing wrong with celerons they are just terribly slow compaired to their P4 counterparts. This also goes for Semprons compaired to Athlons. Although if speed is not an issue to you then they are a cheap alternative.

LMAO I just finished reading the thread. Thats funny!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only
five percent of the roads.

Well...the first part is true. The second part sucks.
confused.gif
Apple can't help it if so many people got the false impression quantity = quality.
smile_l_32.gif

Experience will Dell was not happy.  God help anyone needing to talk to a service rep.  You get some Hindi that speaks minimal English and says his name is "Roger" _MayIhelpyoupleasewhatisdeeproblem?

Why buy from a big name brand? They cost more, you have less say what goes in and they make them up with cheap bits (onboard graphics - come on). Buy from Dell and you have to have an Intel processor.

It's not the brand that matters, it's what's inside the machine. The big companies just buy components in bulk from other manufacturers and hope you don't know much about what's in the machine.

I'd buy one of the computer magazines which is packed full of adverts (PC Shopper, PC World mag etc.) and then you can browse at your leisure and get a good deal.

PAK - I'm starting my first paid job in September
smile_n_32.gif
The good news is I get my hands on OS X (we're still on 9.2 where I am on placement at the moment). The bad news is I'm stuck on an eMac where I'm going so have to put up with a tiddly screen.

compaq- auful, dont ever.
mixed-smiley-028.gif

I have heard dell doesnt innovate, because it costs too much, they let others inovate and make oney off their work.

My dell is a old warhorse and i dont ahev any problems, but i dont think id get another

Back