What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scientific name meanings

When I first joined, one of the first things I did was to ask for a site or something to figure out what the scientific names meant. Someone did give me a site, But I can't find it in my favorites anymore :-/ (I guess it got lost when I had to restore my computer... for some reason it doesn't delete all my favorites but it messes with them... changes names, etc. I guess it also deletes some of them?) I tried searching but nothing came up.
It would also be great if it wasn't just for CPs but scientific names in general... I want to know what ortho means (as in orthopteran- crickets, grasshoppers, kaytidids, etc.) but can't find it anywhere. Most of the sites I've found are far from complete to say the least :p

:-/
I searched a bunch of stuff and nothing came up! grr. I think my search feature is messed up...
thanks! lol
EDIT: does the link work for you? doesn't work for me

Luis,

Plant nomenclature is my specialty. I think you will find this website helpful:

http://www.winternet.com/~chuckg/dictionary.html

I also HIGHLY recommend the book Dictionary of Plant Names for Gardeners by William Stearn. It was out of print for some time but is now widely available and inexpensive. Out of all the references I've used over the years regarding nomenclature, I find this the very best. Srearn was one of the authors of the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature and died recently. He wrote a very impressive monograph on the genus Epimedium.

John

Works just fine. Here's your opening thread:

Hi. I love scientific names (no confusion) but sometimes they're HARD!!!!
(EX. bryophyllum crenatodaigremontiana ... that's just ridiculous!) but it SURE helps if you know a little bit of latin.
(ex. rubra means red, purpurea means purple, alba means white, pod means foot, cephalo is head, etc etc etc.)
so I was wondering if some of you couldn't post some scientific names and what they mean. I think it would be interesting.

And here is Clint's contribution:
http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/cpdict.htm

that whole page pretty much tells you everything you'd want to know.

And here is my contribution:

Hugeous appetitis: Wyle E. Coyote!
smile_m_32.gif

That WAS Wyle E. Coyote. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wyle E. Cotote, Super Genius. I am not selling encyclopedias and I am not putting myself through college. And I will give you the usual 3 minutes to say your prayers." Or something to that effect. Remember when his character was going to his 9->5 job with a sheepdog, punching the clock, beating up on each other, referring to themselves as Ralph & Sam? "Mornin' Ralph. Mornin' Sam."

Mornin' Steve.

You got it, Ralph.

Back