What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't worry, god's in control

Well, if thats the case. Going by an altered bible means that every religion out there is wrong and not in conjunction with the real bible. Jesus's religion was obscured by Constantine and the Catholic Church. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.:p

as long as your happy and positive, all religions are correct. do whatever makes you happy.

then again some people believe whatever helps them sleep at night.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zappafan @ Aug. 02 2005,4:09)]I believe God because His word has spoken to me. There is no other religion in the world that is so brutally honest about the state of man. He does not tickle anyones ears. You will either love Him or hate Him, the absence of love is hate. Most people hate Him because He is not "tolerant" of other gods or sin and reveals all of our sin in contrast to His word. These are the reasons most people and religions speak evil against Jesus more than any other so called gods. The reason God is attacked is because He will have no other gods before Him , He is holy and He reveals our sin. Some people ,and other religions, do not consider Jesus to be the son of God but only a prophet. This is also an attack on God (calls Him a liar). Most people do not like Him because it means they will have to turn from their sins. He is not popular, but He is God and Holy. I cannot make you/people believe, that is a work of God.
"I believe God because His word has spoken to me. There is no other religion in the world that is so brutally honest about the state of man. He does not tickle anyones ears. You will either love Him or hate Him"

you can say that about any religion

"the absence of love is hate"
I don't love you. i don't even know you. i certainly don't hate you.

"Some people ,and other religions, do not consider Jesus to be the son of God but only a prophet. "

one agian, how do you know they are wrong?

"Most people do not like Him because it means they will have to turn from their sins"
no.. most people who are atheist/etc don't believe in him. i can't dislike something that i don't believe exists. i can't dislike or like Santa claus.

"I cannot make you/people believe, that is a work of God"
i hope not. and i would never try to convince you that you are wrong. i'm just trying to show you things from other points of view.

you think your right. i think i'm right. everyone else thinks they are right. who's right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 02 2005,4:38)]you think your right. i think i'm right. everyone else thinks they are right. who's right?
We're all looking out at the the realm of existence through a tiny pinhole. It's not that we don't want to see more (some of us anyway), but we simply don't have the perceptual faculties to do it. We watch ants wandering around and doing their business, amused that they're completely unaware of the planet around them (nor could they ever be shown, not having those perceptual faculties)... glad that we don't have such miniscule, pointless lives. Meanwhile beings we couldn't possible observe or comprehend with our perceptual faculties are amused by us in the same way. And other beings are amused by those beings. Etc etc. (And no, I can't be sure these beings exist because of my perceptual handicaps... but does anyone here really feel like they're at the top of that chain?)

So it's good to keep in mind that we're all utterly, laughably, hopelessly wrong about the universe... every single one of us. Our insights into it may be accurate (the average first-grader will never get a nobel prize in physics, but they correctly think that gravity makes things fall down), but they're so incomplete it would be silly to even begin to think that we have all the information we need.

It's just the cards we're dealt. But we can at least try to do our best given our circumstances.

If I take a magnifier and look real closely at an ant nest, maybe I'll see a tiny bumper sticker that says, "Don't worry, God's in control."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Pagans are not Satanists
but are satanists pagans?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You will either love Him or hate Him, the absence of love is hate
You know, sometimes movies do teach good things. Like Star wars... when obi one was talking to anakin and anakin says "if you're not with me, your'e against me", then obi one replies by saying that only the dark side believes in absolutes. Frankly that reminds me of evil dictators, kings, etc. That's a very narrow minded view if you ask me.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I take a magnifier and look real closely at an ant nest, maybe I'll see a tiny bumper sticker that says, "Don't worry, God's in control."
That reminds me of a comic thing where there are two goldfish in a fish tank and one is saying "If there is no god, then who changes the water?"

And we don't percieve everything ants do either. They can see much smaller things, smell tiny traces of chemicals, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]one agian, how do you know they are wrong?
with most religious people, because that's what their parents/family/people around them told them.

I heard a great piece July 22 on NPR.
Lawrence Crouse, Physicist, Chase Western Reserve University was being interviewed:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Science is about taking nothing on faith and religion is about taking a big thing on faith.

The greatest thing that science can do for anyone, and the reason I think it's wonderful for young kids to learn it too, is that there's no experience like having a cherished belief that you have proved wrong. A beautiful idea that seems so magnificent that it seems that it has to be true; and then, you find out that it's false. Because, that liberates your mind in a way that is hard to describe.

I'm holy and I'm the only god. Must be true.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God is narrow minded, He says He is holy and He is the only God.
What does that have to do with being narrow minded? either he's a liar, or it's true. If he is god, then he must be holy too... and if there's only one god, then there's only one god.

being narrow minded is say... condeming homosexuals to hell, allowing slavery, murder for petty, silly things, destroying entire cities because they were "sinful" even though they were doing their own thing .....oh wait, your God did those. forgot.

i've read the bible cover to cover thank you. i believe it says homosexuals will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

i use to be really christiany and i was saved. of course, i guess i never was since i'm an atheist now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]not with swords but with the word of God
unfortunately, swords work many times better.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]being narrow minded is say... condeming homosexuals to hell, allowing slavery, murder for petty, silly things, destroying entire cities because they were "sinful" even though they were doing their own thing .....oh wait, your God did those. forgot.
well, being narrow minded is say... saying that the people doing things in the name of something mean that the something did the things, not the people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i believe it says homosexuals will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
There are only a couple of passages that might be interpreted as that, but they might not be interpreted as that. Homophobes just use them to justify their homophobia.

i thought that was basically word for word?

let me look for where I read it...
well, I can't find it but i'll keep looking for it. The word "homosexual" is never used, but you can translate the original hebrew in a couple of ways...
stupid translations. It seems every darn word can mean a thousand in hebrew.

Back