What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't worry, god's in control

it's fine. it doesn't matter anyway.

one thing i would like to thank zappafan for is being so...mellow? alot of people would get very angry very quickly in a thread like this so i admire your mellowness.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]stupid translations. It seems every darn word can mean a thousand in hebrew.

Good thing the bible and all texts pertaining to this topic were originally written in english! ...Wait...

smile.gif

Well, Since we know that Hebrew can be translated in many ways. Then what do you say about ancient Hebrew that isn't even spoken anymore. Also Zappa those "signs" of the end of days have been around for the past Melinia. Every turn of the century we have the doomsday sayers calling for the end of the world. Nothing happend during the turn of the century Not even the suposed computer crash. The world is going to end when the sun explodes and goes super-nove in 15 million years or so. I;m sory I can't put faith in a bible that was translated from a language that is not even spoken anymore, and can be translated in m any different ways. I know you say well hebrew is spoken, but the scrolls it was translated from were in ancient Hebrew. We all know how languages change. Also we know that the bible was altered by a king when Jesus was risen to diety status. I don't dought Jesus existed and I believe he was a good man. I don't believe he was born of a virgin. Its imposible. Its a fabication of the church to elivate themselves into power. I have to get back to work now so whenI get home I may contimlate more. Bye for now.

Well, Zappafan, we all loose our calm sometimes... Everything aside, I think it's admirable that you reflect on yourself and work towards making yourself a better person. One thing I must mention though, is to not undermine yourself: you quit smoking, and that takes a lot of strength and resolve. You prayed, and you received help, but forget not that it was YOU who said that you should stop smoking, YOU who took innitiative to start, even the initiative to pray and accept that you had a problem within yourself that you would like to rectify, and that takes strength all in its own. I in no way mean to dissuade you from thanking God, but I want to make sure that you remember that it took a lot of strength for you as a person. Even if you believe that you are a tool through which the lord works, remember how much easier it would have been to have ignored your problem. Sometimes asking for help is the hardest part.

I dunno, my belief in a nutshell is: I will worship the way that I believe is best, and if that isn't good enough for Him, then maybe heaven wouldn't be all it's cracked up to be. My spiel about the bible is that by not letting it lead my life, I am not turning my back on God, I don't have any less faith in Him, however my faith in thousands of years of the word being passed down by man and translated and retranslated and altered, (and so on) is slightly lacking. By being a caring, loving person, I don't see how far from the path to heaven you can stray. If there's something wrong with being kind and respectful to your fellow man and the beautiful world we live in, if there's something wrong with loving your families and friends, if there's something wrong with trying your best to be a good person, well, then I know it sounds corny: but I don't want to be right.

--Jonathan
P.S. Zappafan, even if I don't know your real name, I'll keep you in my prayers along with all of the other wonderful people here. Goodnight to all.

Take the end times and one world government stuff in moderation and you'll be fine.  As Est says, don't overlook your own strength.  And the strength of others.  Yes, the last couple centuries haven't been pretty, but society is trying to adjust to enormous changes.  It hasn't been easy.  And earthquakes are nothing new.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ July 30 2005,8:56)]Bumpersticker on a car that went past me this evening.

My first thought was that it's pretty clear God isn't.  Then I wondered if maybe God is and we need to take the controls back ASAP.
If God is in control, then it is clear God is a capricious, malevolent, destructive being.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zappafan @ Aug. 03 2005,2:10)]I believe the world governments and all media are controlled by an inner circle of elite bankers (who just so happen to be Luciferians).
*chuckle*

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] The world is going to end when the sun explodes and goes super-nove in 15 million years or so.
or a meteor comes this way, or HUMANITY will end if there's supervolcanoes or a mass nuclear war, etc.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, Zappafan, we all loose our calm sometimes... Everything aside, I think it's admirable that you reflect on yourself and work towards making yourself a better person
yep. Even though I disagree by the means by which you're doing that, you're at least trying.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]my faith in thousands of years of the word being passed down by man and translated and retranslated and altered, (and so on) is slightly lacking
To play devil's advocate (he he he...), maybe god guided them and their translations ;)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, the last couple centuries haven't been pretty, but society is trying to adjust to enormous changes.
and there have been a LOT worse times in the past. what, with supervolcanoes erupting, ice ages, plagues, etc.

ok i have ALWAYS wanted to know this. what IS Devil's advocate?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 03 2005,3:26)]The world is going to end when the sun explodes and goes super-nove in 15 million years or so.
The sun will continue on for about another 5 billion years.

It will not explode; it will swell into a red giant, consuming all the inner planets (except, perhaps, Mars) as the hydrogen in its core is exhausted, and it begins to fuse helium.

It will not have sufficient mass to fuse carbon and oxygen once the helium is gone, so it will contract into a white dwarf, leaving a fading planetary nebula behind.

As Carl Sagan mentioned in Cosmos, there will be, some 5 billion years from now, a last perfect day on Earth, then the Sun will slowly kill it, boiling off the atmosphere and oceans, and it will ultimately look as barren as the Moon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 03 2005,12:42)]ok i have ALWAYS wanted to know this. what IS Devil's advocate?
In common parlance, the term has come to mean a person who argues a position that they do not necessarily believe in, simply for the sake of arguing; or who presents a counterargument for a position they do believe in to another debater. This process can be used to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure.

(From Wikipedia)

oooh ok i see. thanks!

Scott Doesn't suns gos supernova after they become a white dwarf? once all energy is depleated? I thought the results of a supernove was a black hole and the black hole was a dead star. Heck I've only seen a few TV shows about it. People still got my drift. 15 million of 5 billion doesn't to much matter when we as indevidual are going to be dead and gone in less than 100. LMAOPersonaly I want to live to be 4 or 5 hundred, but either we need to discover the fountain of youth or vampires. One of the two. LOL. Alfa had a good point to. The life of the earth might be cut short by a meior or us blowing ourselves up with Nukes, buty I find that far less a reality. It is a big scare but I think even Comunist China knows the implications of lauching a Nuke. I think the only time the nukes willbe launched would be aimed at a metior thats about o to wipe out earth. To me thats more forseable than us blowing ourselves up. Then again I'm no truthsayer or fortune teller.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alfa had a good point to
alPHa :p
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Doesn't suns gos supernova after they become a white dwarf?  once all energy is depleated?  I thought the results of a supernove was a black hole and the black hole was a dead star
grr. that should really be called stellar development or something. Let me note that that kind of "evolution" has NOTHING to do with the theory of evolution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I think the only time the nukes willbe launched would be aimed at a metior thats about o to wipe out earth. To me thats more forseable than us blowing ourselves up. Then again I'm no truthsayer or fortune teller.
not really, nuclear devices wouldn't be used to blow up meteors or anything. I won't go into detail about the types of meteors and what each would do, but basically nuclear devices would be useless mainly because they're not big enough. You'd need a LOT of them. and even if blowing them up worked, you'd still have billions of radioactive pieces falling to eath.
there are better options...

not to mention the threat of a nuclar space payload exploding before it reaches the atmosphere. accedents happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 03 2005,6:01)]Scott Doesn't suns gos supernova after they become a white dwarf?  once all energy is depleated?  I thought the results of a supernove was a black hole and the black hole was a dead star.  Heck  I've only seen a few TV shows about it.  People still got my drift. 15 million of 5 billion doesn't to much matter
A star needs a lot of mass to end up in a supernova.

Stars under 8 solar masses will certainly end up as white dwarfs.

It is possible for a white dwarf to go supernova, if it was the higher-massed star of a binary pair, and ends up as a white dwarf very close to the upper limit a white dwarf can be (they are supported by degenerate electron pressure). When the smaller star becomes a red giant, the white dwarf may begin to syphon material off the red giant. If enough material is accreted onto the white dwarf, it will become a Type I supernova.

Type II supernovae are when very massive stars end their lives.

And 15 million or 5 billion DOES matter if you're a physicist, which I am.

I spent years studying black holes. Smaller stars can die in explosions known as novas. More massive stars die in supernovas. Even lager stars go supernova, then collapse back into black holes. As far as dead stars go, you have neutron stars, white dwarfs, brown dwarfs, and red giants are dying stars. Still more powerful explosions are thought to occur when two black holes collide, or explode. Theese form super strong gamma ray bursts. Then I forget what pulsars and quasars are. Sarraceniascott, do you know anything about zero point, quantum physics, or psychoenergetics? Since your a physicist and all
biggrin.gif

I tought brown dwarfs were masses of matter that didnt quite have the mass requierd for nuclear fusion.

Back