What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't worry, god's in control

Yea, sort of like jupiter if you ask me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I tought brown dwarfs were masses of matter that didnt quite have the mass requierd for nuclear fusion.

You have NO idea how difficult it is to resist making a potty joke right now.

Interesting. I learns alot from a thread that started off talking about god and now evolved into stars. LOL Scott thanks for the info, and a physicist cool. Science has always interested me, and I have had one clas in pysics back in HS, but I went the medical rought. If you don't mind me asking what are you researching or doing as a physicist. I'm just curious is all. Like I said I find science very interesting, and understanding how things work. Oh ans sorry about the 15 million and 5 billion thing. Yes they are very different numbers. Seperated by alot of zero's, but for all practical purposes to use who just know a little about science its long enough either way to know we wae not going to be around long enough to see it.
smile_m_32.gif
Also Scott if you didn't mind I would like to conversate with you about what a physicist does in a new thread or a PM.

I too am interested
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Aug. 03 2005,10:10)]I spent years studying black holes.  Smaller stars can die in explosions known as novas.  More massive stars die in supernovas.  Even lager stars go supernova, then collapse back into black holes.  As far as dead stars go, you have neutron stars, white dwarfs, brown dwarfs, and red giants are dying stars.  Still more powerful explosions are thought to occur when two black holes collide, or explode.  Theese form super strong gamma ray bursts.   Then I forget what pulsars and quasars are.  Sarraceniascott, do you know anything about zero point, quantum physics, or psychoenergetics?  Since your a physicist and all
biggrin.gif
A "nova" is sort of the same setup as a Type I supernova, escept you have a white dwarf well below the maximum mass limit (the Chandrasekhar Limit, ~1.4 solar masses).  As hydrogen from the red giant companion to the white dwarf accretes onto the white dwarf, it compacts until enough it there, then it suddenly and catastrophically fuses, producing a brief, bright burst.

This does NOT destroy the white dwarf; novae can recur.

In a Type II supernova, a very large star fuses elements in its core all the way up to iron, which cannot be fused to release more energy.  With no radiation pressure acting against gravity, the massive atmosphere of the star begins falling inward, compressing the iron core to such a degree that the electron shells are crushed (electron degenerate pressure cannot support more than 1.4 solar masses), and the protons beta-decay into neutrons (hence, the name neutron star).  This process releases an enormous flood of neutrinos.  The neutron core rebounds a bit, kicking the inward falling shell back outward with a collosal shcok wave that rips through it at a significant fraction of the speed of light.  The neutrino burst also deposits a lot of energy into the envelope (neutrinos don't normally interact with matter much, but it is SO dense that they now can).  The envolope rips away as the shock wave travels through it, and the supernova is born.

The first outward effect is the neutrino burst; that would be observed at the surface of the star before any other changes were noted, several hours before the star rips itself to pieces.

What is left behind is a neutron star; if the star was massive enough, even the degenerate neutron pressure cannot support the mass, and it collapses into a black hole.

In Type I supernovae, in contrast, you have a white dwarf companion to a red giant; the white dwarf is just a shade under the Chandrasekhar limit, and as mass accretes from the red giant to the white dwarf, it exceeds the limit, and collapses.  In this kind of supernova, however, the core destroys itself completely, leaving nothing behind.  Rather than becoming a neutron star, the nuclei in the white dwarf rapidly all fuse, and the resulting energy release disrupts it completely.

A brown dwarf is not a dead star, but a failed one.  Maximum mass of a brown dwarf is about 8% that of the sun; they are massive enough to initiate fusion of deuterium in their cores (an isotope of hydrogen), but cannot ignite the hydrogen.

Gamma Ray Bursts (GRBs) are still not well understood; they may be the merging of two black holes, or they may herald the creation of a black hole as a very large star collapses, or they may be something else.

Pulsars are rapidly spinning neutron stars with strong magnetic fields which emit intense beams of radiation.

Quasars are now thought to be the cores of active galaxies, essentially the radiation signature of matter accreting into a supermassive black hole (millions or billions of solar masses).

The last I heard of zero-point energy in a proper science context was in an into quantum mechanics class. Wikipedia has a decent article on it.

Most advanced physics is quantum physics; what do you want to know about it?

As for psychoenergetics, that sounds like pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo; I've never heard of it.

My focus was in high-energy astrophysics, specifically supernovae.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 04 2005,3:01)]If you don't mind me asking what are you researching or doing as a physicist.  

Actually, I'm no longer in academia. I stopped short of finishing my Ph.D. As much as I loved physics, I didn't enjoy experiment; I preferred theoretical. But I wasn't smart enough to make a significant contribution; I would have been a support scientist running computations for somebody else. So I got an MBA with a focus on quantitative finance, and am now a quantitative analyst in the energy business. I write computer simulations to value their natural gas transportation and storage assets.

My sister-in-law is also a non-practicing physicist: She DID finish her Ph.D., and is currently a stay-at-home mom.

I thought Ph.D. stood for Post Hole Digger degree? Well, heck, I already have that!
smile_n_32.gif

quantum physics is fascinating. i have no interest to pursue anything dealing with it besides a PBS special, though lol.

That is very interesting Scott. I wouldn't mind sitting down to a thread or PM still and chatting sometime if you have a chance. I could learn alot from you.
smile.gif
I love learning new things through a conversation. Thanks for the Nova and supernova explanation. I will reread when I have more time and come up with some questions. There was a little I didn't quite understand, but I got the general picture. I really do think science and discovery is facinating.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 04 2005,5:31)]That is very interesting Scott.  I wouldn't mind sitting down to a thread or PM still and chatting sometime if you have a chance.  I could learn alot from you.
smile.gif
I love learning new things through a conversation.  Thanks for the Nova and supernova explanation.  I will reread when I have more time and come up with some questions.  There was a little I didn't quite understand, but I got the general picture.  I really do think science and discovery is facinating.
When I get a chance, I'll post a list of layperson-level books on the subject.

In a Nutshell by Steven Hawking is a good book and so is Quantum String Theory by Brian somebody.........I think.

Joe

<<In common parlance, the term has come to mean a person who argues a position that they do not necessarily believe in, simply for the sake of arguing; or who presents a counterargument for a position they do believe in to another debater.>>

I believe the term originated in the Vatican...when someone is nominated for saint-hood, the Vatican has someone at the ready who tries to de-bunk the nomination..the Devil's Advocate or, in Latin, the Advocatus Diaboli. (sorry..took 8 years of Latin) Here is a site that will tell you all about the Devil's Advocates, it's pretty interesting:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01168b.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 03 2005,3:26)]Well, Since we know that Hebrew can be translated in many ways. Then what do you say about ancient Hebrew that isn't even spoken anymore. Also Zappa those "signs" of the end of days have been around for the past Melinia. Every turn of the century we have the doomsday sayers calling for the end of the world. Nothing happend during the turn of the century Not even the suposed computer crash. The world is going to end when the sun explodes and goes super-nove in 15 million years or so. I;m sory I can't put faith in a bible that was translated from a language that is not even spoken anymore, and can be translated in m any different ways. I know you say well hebrew is spoken, but the scrolls it was translated from were in ancient Hebrew. We all know how languages change. Also we know that the bible was altered by a king when Jesus was risen to diety status. I don't dought Jesus existed and I believe he was a good man. I don't believe he was born of a virgin. Its imposible. Its a fabication of the church to elivate themselves into power. I have to get back to work now so whenI get home I may contimlate more. Bye for now.
You obviously don't understand what the bible is. The bible is the word of God. It was written by people who were given the divine knowledge of what to write by the Holy Spirit. Sure the original bible was written in Hebrew, Greek and Latin but it was never altered in any of its translations. Some words in Greek have a few more meanings than say one word of English, but the message is still the same.

How can you say that it is impossible for God to do something? He created everything, nothing is impossible in God's hands. He can do anything. So how is it impossible for him to make Mary the mother of himself in flesh and blood? It's not.

These signs have been around for the past Melinia? I'm not so sure about that, have you seen what our world is like today? Just look how ridiculous sex has become. Little 13yr old girls dress like 18 yr olds. It is not normal for a girl to wear clothes that don't have her butt hanging out and her cleavage showing. You can't watch TV anymore without sexual content. There's so much more evident that is wrong with the world today but if you can't see that yourself... The devil knows our weakness is sex and these days he's exploiting it. He uses this exploitation to ruin marriages and love, gifts God has given us.

Why do so many people think that the generations alive today invented the feeling that everything is falling apart?

Has anyone heard of Puritans, for one?

Well Outsider you have your oppinion, but these things have been going on for a while. TIs just more telivised now. I guess ignorance is bliss when it comes to knowing what is going on around us. Just like the shark attacke for instance. There has not been an increas or decrease in shark attacks, but there is media coverage from our lust for news that it seems like there is an increase. And it is also my believe that the bible was altered but the catholic church to suit its rise to power. Sex itself used to be a worshiped part of connecting with god. It was demonized, but the vatican. Of course I have no real proof, but I don't believe you can show proof that it wasn't either. You only know what you have been told. Plus back in those times there was no copiers. Everything had to be hand written or passed down through stories. Ever did the experiment where you wipsered something to one person and then had it passed around the room? We did it in college and by the time it got to the last person the entire story was changed. Is it not possible that that happene there? This doesn't even mention constantine and the church. So believe me or not I have no proof, but from what I have read in a book and I bet you only have the faith that the bible is accurate. Go figure. Thats my belief.

True it is more televised but come on there is a serious problem with sexuality and sin today. Yes sex is a gift from God but look how many people abuse it. People are having sex at younger ages, before marriage where it was supposed to be used. God wants us to have sex but you are dishonoring God when you have sex before marriage. It's at marriage where two people are joined in one flesh. That's when that gift is appropriate. Look how people act, dress, think what's normal. Divorce rate is what 50%? Maybe it's just more obvious in my area than yours?

The bible and Catholicism has nothing to do with each other. I'm a Christian, I believe in the Father the Son and the Holy spirit. What Catholics do with the bible or believe with the bible is their practice. My authority is God's word in the bible. This is not like the telephone game, monks who lived their lives serving God, copied scrolls over and over. This isn't an oral thing passed down. Do a google search it has been studied. The bible is exactly as it was when it was created. Do you really think the hardcore religious would not care what they write? If I were them I'd be scared if I rewrote one wrong word. But like I said do a search and you will find that answer that the bible is still entact and exact as it was when it was first made.

For whoevers interested, this is interesting reading.

GodHead

I have refrained from these topics for a reason but I still read them
Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Aug. 06 2005,9:37)]True it is more televised but come on there is a serious problem with sexuality and sin today.  Yes sex is a gift from God but look how many people abuse it.  People are having sex at younger ages, before marriage where it was supposed to be used.  God wants us to have sex but you are dishonoring God when you have sex before marriage.  It's at marriage where two people are joined in one flesh.  That's when that gift is appropriate.  Look how people act, dress, think what's normal.  Divorce rate is what 50%?  Maybe it's just more obvious in my area than yours?
Do you think it's ok for women to wear clothes that reveal their calves and necklines? Or for men to take their shirts off at the beach? Is it ok to use things like perfume and cologne? Is it ok to use positions besides a strict (and probably clothed) missionary position?

(I'll assume you'd answer "yes" to all of those, until you tell me otherwise... not that I really need to know about the last one)

Going back to puritans because they were a good example... you would in fact be a demonstration of what they were afraid of, wouldn't you? Like you they thought the devil was slowly luring people down that slippery sexual slope, until they were not only partaking in ungodly acts, but believing that God thought it was acceptable to be partaking in those acts.

You are the "horrible future" they envisioned, or part of it anyway.

Granted they probably were considered extreme even in their time... but, denominations aside, do you think their beliefs have merit? Or do you think that they were just people who had the wrong idea and were taking things to the extreme... that now that we've gathered more knowledge about the world, we just know better than they did?

It's all about perspective.

Sex before marriage is bad?Oh boy am I in trouble! I must be going to hell
confused.gif
~Niki~

Sex is an issue that you'll want to be weary of on the forums. But, the issue of sex is about the last issue around the bible that I don't have a good grasp on. Something about the morality of sex seems misconstrued, and the same of masturbation. I have found that the nature of sin usualy comes from the abuse of our human abilities and rights, or our bodies. Things that end up being somehow destructive in a physical way or spiritual way. I don't believe god makes rules for no reason, but rather to represent the nature and laws of the universe and reality that he created. If you go against the natural order, or his will, it is destructive. That said, it really does pain people (or just me) to try not to have sex, lust, or masturbate. Selevacy. Theese are natural urges of the body, like we need air to breather, and food to eay. Just as natural. While we need to look at ourselves as spiritual beings, we are still a soul, and the body a part of that soul. I have struggled to see how sex and masturbation can somehow be destructive to the human spirit, or physically, but I cannot find the answer in all theese years as I have most other things. It's rather enigmatic, and I believe there is something about it we just don't understand. I believe that theese things, like food, taken in moderation may not be bad, until it begins to take control of you, your life, and the way you act and think. A strong person in god should be able to avoid letting it get to that point. Just as we have all the power not to lie and steal, we can control where our bodies go and what we do with them. Yet there is just something that sounds "good" about being able to call myself a vergin. Perhaps with social implications, sex should be reserved for marriage alone...

Back