What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics from my holiday(bosnia and croatia) part 1

Hi everyone,
here is roughly half of the pics from my holiday(all these were taken in Mostar, Bosnia) my cousin has refused to send me anymore over MSN today, he was the only one to remember a digi cam
NOTE: You can click on the pictures to get a larger version

A building destroyed by bullets, granades and shelling during the war of 1992-5, in Mostars old city part

An abandoned building, also in the old city part of Mostar

More buildings destroyed in the war in the old city part of Mostar

Another abandoned building

The view of the beautiful river Neretva which flows through Mostar, and you can see some buildings on either side of it

A view of a mosque?
Seen from across the river Neretva

Another view of the river Neretva

A view of another abandoned building and a bridge in front of it

A view of the river Neretva and the buetiful mountains beyond

I agree; it is beautiful.  But no people!?!  I think I see people crossing the bridge over the river Neretva in the fifth photo.  But otherwise I see nobody and a city without people seems odd.  Is it normal there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I agree; it is beautiful. But no people!?! I think I see people crossing the bridge over the river Neretva in the fifth photo. But otherwise I see nobody and a city without people seems odd. Is it normal there?

Look at the 5th window in picture 2, they've got a satelite dish- no reason to leave home! Oh, and as for people, there's a woman and the very end of the sidewalk in the 4th picture (the rightmost part of the pic.) Well, thanks for sharing the photos, Dino. I look forward to seeing the rest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Aug. 02 2005,6:30)]I agree; it is beautiful.  But no people!?!  I think I see people crossing the bridge over the river Neretva in the fifth photo.  But otherwise I see nobody and a city without people seems odd.  Is it normal there?
Well cos the old cities mostly in ruins, people dont really walk there......however if you took pictures of the road in front of the ruined buildings in the first few pictures you would see lots of cars
But in general terms, Mostar is less populated then a lot of major American vities like Washington D.C and New York, and its population density is lower(Mostars population is only about 400,000)

I thought the photos seemed kind of cold and thought it was because of all the physical destruction.  Then I realized it was the lack of people.  Cities are best when lots of people are walking somewhere.  But people aren't comfortable walking past ruined buildings, whether in Bosnia or in the US.

The photos show more than just a beautiful area and thanks for posting them.

Wow, don't take this the wrong way but those are really depressing pictures. I hear Somalia is nice this time of year.

THAT is where you come from?

Wow what a vacation! It's so unfortunate all that old architechture has been molested by bullets and shrapnel.

If you hail from there, you don't happen to know if Croatian metal band Master's Hammer is still around do you? Jilmince Occultist was the last recording I was able to find from them on Osmose Productions 199... something.

Il have to ask my grandma, but when I was on a walk with her we came ot a poster of a music band
She asked me if I knew them and I said no
She said they were around before the war but then split up, but now thye are back together again and are once again extremely popular
I think she said they are called Hammer or something.....but Im not sure, Il ask her for you
smile_m_32.gif

Hey all,
heres a pic of the old bridge in Mostar

This was the oldest standing bridge in Europe(and probably one of the oldest in the world) before it got destroyed in the war
The pic you see there is the re-built old bridge, they even fished out the original stones from the riverand used that to re-construct it

Thanks. Last week I read about its reconstruction and was waiting to see if you would show us a photo.

ah!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
the person, on the bridge, in the complete midle is comiting suicide!!

or has servere brain damage!
confused.gif

wow there sure are crazy people in this world
smile_m_32.gif

That's Starman, about to do a triple backflip with one half twist.  Either that or it's the monthly meeting of the Bosnian Bungie Jumping Society.  I hope.

Nope, divers regualy jump off the bridge and into the river below
When I was there I watched one jump from the bridge

That river is very nice looking! And that bridge is realy good looking to:)

You like the river? Then type in 'Rijeka Neretva' in google images
It should come up with plenty of nice looking images of River Neretva
smile.gif

I forgot to mention the weather, in Mostar it was incredibly hot, 45 degrees celcious....thats about 110-115 fahrenheit, I know 40 celcious is 104 fahrenheit
Never been hot that before, it was too much for me and all the locals, my grandma who has lived in Bosnia all her life(She was originally from Brcko and came to Mostar some 25 years ago) cant handle it, nor can most people who live there now
I couldnt handle it either, the heat is just unbelivable

That would certainly keep people off the street and encourage people to jump off a bridge.

http://www.starimost.telecom.ba/indexe.php?link=1

Thats a site with a live cam overlooking the bridge, however, the site is in Bosnian and I doubt anyone here would be able to read Bosnian
smile_n_32.gif

You can still have a look at the cam, though, you might even see a diver jumping off
smile_m_32.gif
(Throughout the bridges 450 year history, many young men jumped off the bridge for fun and they sitll do)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can still have a look at the cam, though, you might even see a diver jumping off (Throughout the bridges 450 year history, many young men jumped off the bridge for fun and they sitll do)

A lotta' men tried...a lotta' men died. What is the survival rate.

Back