What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wildfowl carving magazine

I was out hunting down the latest toy mags today, no new issues out since my last visit to the newsstand but I did find a magazine on sculpting & carving wild birds and their habitats.

I'm not a huge wildlife art fan but I love reading how things are done, it's always inspiring to see new stuff. The work in this mag is really outstanding. My mom used to take me along to Wildlife Art shows when I was growing up and I always hated the bronze wildlife statues, these are totally lifelike!

If you wanna have a look online their site is:
http://www.wildfowl-carving.com

I've always wanted to do that, actually!

What I don't understand is why they don't use wax for their carving and silicone molds to make multiple copies of these beauties. Most of the artists make a clay copy before they go at their wood anyway.

From their already sculpted clay rough they could make a cheap aglinate (seaweed) mold and cast melted hard wax into it and detail the wax copy. As action figs are done. They could add just as much (and more) detail as they do with wood. Since you can't add to wood but it's easy enough to simply drip a bit more wax on and recarve. They already use a wax pen (variable temp woodburner) just different tips.

Once completed they could make a final silicone mold and pull cold cast resin copies from the finished mold. One guys project took a year (this issues cover story) for just one piece granted it was 7 feet high but with just a few hours of mold making tutorials he could get more than a single sale from that titanic effort and knock out a number of more projects in a single year.

How funny that this would come up right after I saw this video.

While I don't see this guy carving atoms in the future, like he hopes to, there are some pretty neat sculptures, and even one of a bird and its nest. Cool stuff.

Back