What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send me on safari!

www.bigfishpond.blogspot.com

the blog explains it all.

no, VFT's and other cp's do not count as animals ;) (good thing too or i'd be sitting there for hours trying to get the perfect shot of my nepenthes)

and no, i don't really think i'll win anything, but you never know unless you enter...

P.S.- for those of you wondering "I didn't know moonflower had that many horses" or "Wow moonflower got awfully close to those seals"... the secret to my success is RESCUE!!! visit the sites! great work is being done by both organizations
smile.gif

The Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation- rescues and rehabs stranded seals, sea turtles, and cetaceans in New York State.
H.O.R.S.E. Rescue- saves abandoned, neglected and abused horses.

I like Taste of Freedom I the best.  It would be better without the legs and boots cluttering it, but it wasn't a controlled photo session.  It's a unique shot and has an interesting composition and tone.  Hide and Zeke is really cool too, but they'll probably receive lots of horse photos.

I don't know what your equipment is, but magazine covers are usually from fine grain slide film shot through a medium format camera.  So I'll deflate your dream a little by saying you might not match the quality they're looking for.  But that's a deficiency of technology and any fool with money can own the technology.  But it takes something else to get those excellent photos and #1 is great.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Aug. 07 2005,8:09)]I don't know what your equipment is, but magazine covers are usually from fine grain slide film shot through a medium format camera.  So I'll deflate your dream a little by saying you might not match the quality they're looking for.  But that's a deficiency of technology and any fool with money can own the technology.  
granted this is based on only one publisher that i have personal knowlege of(Wolfe Publishing) but alot of magazines seem to have switched over to digital. the camera we have hear at the shop is better than most any used by the writers for their(Wolfe) magazines. most any 6-8 mega pixel camera with decent glass will produce good enough quality for most magazine covers.

Bruce is right though, anyone with money can have a good camera, your photos show what happens when the nut behind the lens knows what they are doing.

I like Zeke...I really like the contrast of the vertical boards against the horizontal boards behind and the fence...with Zeke's head in the middle. Photographically I like it but I can't say it evokes any particular emotion (except "awwwwwwwwwww!" because I love horses.)

I like Taste of Freedom too although its more emotional knowing the story (that its a rescue). And the pic of Desi is an "aaaaaaaaaaw!" photo because who can resist a foal with its mommy? But horse pics will probably be fairly common.

Good luck! I hope you win.
smile.gif

aww thanx guys
smile.gif

lol i don't really know much about photography, i just take full advantage of my 80-pic memory card and keep shootin'. some day i'll get a real camera and be serious... in the meantime me and my Sony CyberShot get along quite nicely as long as it decides to focus properly
smile.gif
it does take nice sharp pics most of the time though, can't complain.

there's actually another seal release thursday morning that i'm planning to go to, it's another gray seal and grays have a reputation for hanging out on the beach for a good long time. i think i'm going with the Zeke pic, but if i get a really good shot of the seal i might do that instead... bet there won't be many pics of seals in the contest ;)

Back