What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess who

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
Yeah when they are in the process of digging a pit or looking for a suitable spot they will leave swirly trails in the sand.

I found antlions in the wild once on a beach, which is where I also found some wild D. intermedia
smile.gif
. It was fun dropping ants into the traps, and nearby the D. intermedia would gobble up the flying antlions.

Do you know that the antlion does not poop in its larval stage, so it stores the poop until it deposits it when it exits its coccon. It may not poop for years
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

Zongyi Antlions are up in Canada? Whats the range of these insects? I've never seen the little pits anywhere in NY.

Oh yeah, there were quite a few on the beach. They were everywhere, but mostly concentrated in the areas where people don't trample. I don't know their native range though. Search in sandy areas, I have only seen them in one beach so far.

antlion info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
I'm guessing the flying adults are the ones that look like dragonflies/damselflies, because the ones that are just sitting there look NOTHING like either! I thought I knew what they looked like! They look more like dobsonflies or heck, even moths!

Yeah they like places where it is very sandy, dry, and where they are protected from foot traffic. Sides of paths, old lots, and the particularly like places where they can be safe from rain(next to houses and old sheds). Once you know where to look you can spot dozens of them in the right place.

Back