What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess who

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
hehe.jpg

Got it! Who else has seen these things before?

ive seen a very odd-looking mobile type of ant lion. But one that actually dig pits, no.That is odd looking also!

i've tried, but i've NEVER been able to dig out the ones that make pits...

So THAT'S what they look like...

ew.

Now, to continue the game
smile.gif

A cookie to anyone who figures out what this montrosity is:

Amblypygid.jpg

I don't know what the heck that is,but it sure is scary looking! ~Niki~

Tailess whipscorpion.

Cynic88: Its pretty easy actually...just require an ant and something like a spoon.

Here's some whole body shots.

DSCN1558.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

DSCN1562.jpg

DSCN1567.jpg

Waiting for an ant to drop into the pit.

Cynic81- African cave dwelling spider? I think that's what they called those things that looked like that when they ate them on fear factor
smile_n_32.gif

EDIT: antlions are really neat things.. did you know they are just larve of a flying insect? A kinda dragon fly looking thing... Anyway, check out this site for more info, there is even videos of them making their "traps" and such... antlion website
andrew

Hey I remember that episode on Fear Factor!They do look like those spiders,yuck! ~Niki~

They say that spiders taste like crab. Yummy!

NFlyTrap had it.

I've heard you eat about 9 spiders in your sleep a year.

Sleep Tight
biggrin.gif

I used to love to try catch antlions and to push ants into the traps. They were alway entertaining. Or you could knock a little sand into the funnel and watch them use their pinchers to flick the sand out. hehe

Mike...it looks like a somewhat flattened camelback cricket to me. They are the GROSSEST things. I hate them worst than just about anything. :shudder:

the sleep-spider thing is a myth

LOL PK they are sure interesting little critters.

I will be posting some update shots of the little specimens...as something has happened!

On that site it says they are the larvae of lacewings and such. That's really cool cuz I just found some lacewing eggs on a milkweed plant outside my house. I'll let them hatch and see what happens.

they are not the larva of lacewings, the adults just look a bit like them. I cant remember how to tell the difference between them but I know you can. They are also called doodlebugs because of the way that they crawl around on the top of the sand to look for a place to dig. You can buy some as pets on this site. Antlionfarms I just got some to, the're really cool.

lacewing larvae walk around on plants and eat aphids and other small things like that. Many of them also collect junk and "glue" (stick/hook/whatever you want to call it) it to their backs for protection.

I thought they were called doodlebugs because you can "doodle" a blade of grass or pine needle in the funnel to trick them into grabbing it like its an ant. I've never ever seen an antlion walking above ground. If you do manage to dig one up, they start digging immediately back down into the sand.

Back