What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlas never going to let me live this one down...

we live out in the country next to a wheat field. so i have been waging a personal war against mice in our house, needless to say i think the mice are slightly ahead in the fustration count even if my kill tally is higher. we have what im pretty sure are 3 types of mice. the normal house mouse, deer mice and what i believe is a hybrid between the two.

being a bit of a herper even at 23 im still out flipping boards like a 12 year old looking for snakes and what ever else i can find. actually i was looking for termites last night but thats a whole nother story. anyways i flipped a particular board thats generally always good for finding something interesting. and i find a mommy deer mouse and 5 babies that dont even have their eyes open yet. mommy took off but i desided to sit down and see what would happen. sure enough a minute or two later she comes running back to check on her babies 12 inches from the tip of my shoe. i than proceed to catch her with a handy container, keeping her coraled for the time being. now im at a loss of what to do. so i go get Darla to show her what i found.

Darla comes out of the house and around back and i show here the cute lil nest made with goose feathers and tell her that mommy is under that cup. i can see the look on Darlas face, that "why did you drage me out here" look. i told her im not sure what to do next. she plops down next to me and says turn mommy loose and see what happens. so i did. mommy takes off but i knew she didnt go far and i tell Darla to watch this. and sure enough not 30 seconds later she comes a running back to check on babies. well now we can tell this particular situation has never happened or occured to mommy mouse as she is at a loss of what to do and spends several minutes checking out the babies and running back and forth. finally she desides to carry of the babies to a new spot under a different board 6 feet away. all this with her babies 8 inches form the tips of our shoes, she hauled 3 of the babies away. than we watched her catch a moth for supper(deer mice are partially insectivorus), and than she hauled the last 2 babies under the other board.

Darla looked up at me and said that they would all be in the house this winter, i said yep i know.

she said you could kill them? i said no i just couldnt do it.

she laughed and said you have "hunted" them with a BB gun in the house, set traps, poisoned them and flushed countless of them and you couldnt just stomp those 5 hich you will probably have to trap poison or shoot this winter? i shrugged and said they were outside and they looked so cute and it was way to interesting of a thing to watch.

she laughed and said some great white hunter you are and proceeded to make fun of me all night though she agreed it was a pretty cool thing to watch.

so there, not all us hunters ar sadistic nice guys
smile_m_32.gif

wussy.

smile_m_32.gif

GOOD for you Rattler!! I know you don't want mice in your house...I get 'em sometimes and I hate it because its pretty much only one way to get rid of them and I have a hard time doing that.

But that lil' mouse was outdoors living her life like Momma Nature tells her to do and she had innocent, dependent babies. She was on HER natural turf...not yours. Just goes to show how strong the maternal instinct is in animals. She was probably terrified but her desire to protect her babies was stronger than the fear.

Maybe with any luck, she and her babies will stay out in the field.
smile.gif

Thanks for not killing them.

Simple solution, being that you are a herper. FEED THEM TO A SNAKE! Problem sloved and it supports the natural order of things
smile.gif
Plus, Darwin says "A mouse that stupid should not perpetuate its genes."

Better solution:  Go buy yourself some cans of "shake-away" at http://www.pestproducts.com/coyote_urine.htm.  Follow the directions and create a barrier just around your house.  The rodents won't come in and you can enjoy them outside where they belong.

I use this stuff to keep the squirrels from wrecking my yard by "shaking" a border around each flower bed.  Slightly over $50 of product (with free shipping) has kept me pest free all summer.  It works against the moles and voles that were destroying my surrounding yard too.  

Four cans have lasted me since late May and I still have 1 1/2 cans left! I'll be buying this every year without fail. It's nonpoisonous to pets and humans; leaves no odor; keeps the critters away. What more could I ask for?

I'll be making nylon stocking "bags" of this stuff to fasten to my mini bog containers next year to keep them out of my bogs.

I reviewed this product for one of my internet columns three years ago.  I won't be WITHOUT it again! and I am a natural born skeptic!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Aug. 10 2005,9:02)]Simple solution, being that you are a herper. FEED THEM TO A SNAKE! Problem sloved and it supports the natural order of things
smile.gif
Plus, Darwin says "A mouse that stupid should not perpetuate its genes."
lol, the fact i put poison out means i do not ever feed a wild caught mouse to my snakes. the snakes are worth to much to risk that.

Cockatielmother...you found something that KEEPS SQUIRRELS AWAY??!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I guess it would cost a fortune to put it around an entire yard...

Do you know how it works?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 10 2005,4:14)]Do you know how it works?
hehehe, you already know the answer to that one PAK.

It's bad aroma therapy. Powdered Coyote Urine would make the squirrel's or other rodents...most animals actually think that a coyote was in the area marking it up.

Squirrels and Coyote's don't mix. Well they do, but not in that happy bubble gum sort of way.

Just buy a Coyote for a whole yard. ;)

It was really nice of you to not kill them
smile.gif
~Niki~
smile.gif

The shake-away makes them think a predator is in the area. Note: IT HAS NO SMELL DETECTABLE BY HUMANS but it keeps the critters away! As I said before, I won't be without it. I live where I couldn't use traps or poison without getting in serious trouble from the townehouse management. Only one maintenance worker knows how I solved the problem. Management is just happy I'm not complaining this year because I nearly broke my ankle in a mole hill last summer.

I am a writer and WOULD NOT post anything about this product if it didn't work so well. Look on the Maine site and you can see a plastic container for holding the scent in a specific location. I have one of those stuck in the middle of my 20 ft square butterfly garden. I want butterflies but don't want mice/other rodents that close to my house.

I will hang bags of it just under the doorjamb this winter to keep the mice from deciding my house would be a nice warm place for the winter with plenty of bird-scattered birdfood to eat too!

Supposedly an inch wide line would protect 10 feet (5 on either side of line) of land. I've drawn a line between my townehouse and the townehouse on the other side of the lawn between the two sets of 8 townehouses. This kept the moles/voles away for 6 weeks last time! I just redid my lines last week because they are starting to tunnel again. I have 1 1/2 cans left so I can treat once more if I need to.

I will also use this around my species tulips/miniature daffodils planted in containers so the squirrel doesn't dig up my miniature rock gardens this winter trying to get to those bulbs.

Hey Get them, put them in an artight box. Pump in some Co2. Wait 10 mins. Put them in a freezer bag. Pack some dry ice around them and mail them to me.
smile_n_32.gif

That mom mouse wasn't being stupid...she was protecting her babies. It's a high priority for lots of animals, though I once read an interesting article that said earwigs protect their babies, too. Wolf spiders carry their babies around on their backs. Some fish carry their babies around in their mouths.

Anyway, thanks for not killing the mice. It was very humane of you, and very honourable. I think mice are real cute, and they don't dare come into the house. Because I have 10 cats with nothing better to do, the lazy sods.

Some giant burrowing cockroaches in australia take care of their babies for NINE MONTHS.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Cool story! I love observing stuff like that and am a bit surprised that despite the obvious threat the mouse tried to move the babies. I know that with fish disturbance may cause them to eat the eggs/fry even if they would have cared for them(better food for them then food for someone else). Then again they will stand their ground against a human hand coming towards the fry too.

Back