What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantids...i love em...

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Wow. I love mantids, they truely are remarkable creatures. A friend of mine just sent me this link to an amazing story.

Well, amazing unless you like hummingbirds more than mantids.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Mantid vs. Hummingbird - Guess who won?

Mantis -1
Hummingbird -0
I always liked Mantids, but only seen two in my whole life, an adult and a nymph. I couldn't capture the nymph, cause I think it's Illegal in New Jersey.

You can get some egg casings and raise them.
smile.gif

That's pretty cool.
I saw one about two weeks ago. I was at work and I saw on a catwalk above a huge concrete water holding tank. I tried to catch it so I could release it in a safer area. Before I could catch it, it flew away.

Ive kept a few mantids in my time. They are wonderful pets! You can easily get mantids egg cases at garden centres that sell benificial insects. If you want a really cool species, then search around the internet. It will be easy in the states. (Its really hard in canada.)

i gave my first mantis a little barbie tennis racket i found, And she would hold it in her arm for a while, untill she started waking away again.

My first manti

I saw a show about mantids a while back (couple of years) and they had video of a mantis eating a small snake, and a mouse as well as a hummingbird.
I've seen a few mantids and I kept one for a while but it ate a LOT so I just let it go after a while.

I didn't know they ate stuff like that.
confused.gif

I actually had no idea they could fly
confused.gif
But why else would they have wings!DUH! ~Niki~

intriguing.

Mantids are pretty cool. I had one as a pet a few years back.

YES! I knew these topic would come around someday... *lol*

I have had 2 in my lifetime, I just love these creatures. Once when I was young, I was a Praying Mantis for Halloween. :-/

I currently have one now actually. I've had him for around a month now. He was a nymph and now is around 3-4in.

Praying mantis are cool! I used to collect them when I was a kid. I had no idea that they were capable of doing in a hummingbird! I though they just ate bugs.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
There was one residing on the new lab building just the other day.

They are pretty common where I am(CA) but some years they seem more abundant than others. Either way you could put your hand over one and not see it if you aren't observing carefully. I remember one time I carelessly pulled at a daylily bloom and a mantid jumped onto my hand.

I'm surprised the mantid actually had the guts to take something like a hummingbird but looking at the photos it looks like an even match.

WOW
Didnt know they could do that,fairplay.never kept one but i do have a soft spot for such an accomplished hunter.
Bye for now Julian

Back