What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have yim & msn at home

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have YIM & MSN IM at home and I want to access them on my work pc and I'm not sure how to do it. I have tried going to the homepages and navigated around, but I can't figure out how to do this. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

I know with yim you have to download it on your work pc,then login with your user name.Not sure if thats what you were talking about.

Jerry

Well, since the ICQ, AIM, Yahoo pages are all so freaking cluttered and I never wanted to have more than one IM program open, I investigated and I found the right thing for me. GAIM is an simple program that does everything that messengers like ICQ and AIM do, but it can do it for multiple things at once. For instance, now I can be logged in my AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN instant messanger accounts all at once. Here's what you need to do if you want to go down this path:

Click Here, (I already selected the right thing so it should be the version you want.) After a few seconds, a box will pop up, asking you if you want to save the program or open it (and where you want to save it to and all that good stuff.) From there, just open the file you downloaded (it's an executable so you just need to double click on it,) then you go through the install process which should consist primarily of clicking "next" a few times (plus that, "I agree"
biggrin.gif
) After that, start the program up (if it doesn't do it automatically after the install) and then click on the "Accounts" button, then "add." From this window you select what messnger you want to use, all you do is type in the information from the account you have at home (username/email adress [depending on client] and your password.) You can have it remember your password and all that stuff. After that you can click on the "account" button and you can choose which of your accounts you want to log on/off of.

This explanation makes it sounds big and long, but it's just because I wrote it out as a step-by-step, you should be able to do it, but it was just in case.
smile.gif
I love this program because I can be in all of my accounts at once and be away in one but not the other, and yadda yadda. I'd suggest that anyone who is fed up with messengers that eat system resources (like MSN which has an update program that starts up with windows and slows the HECK out of everything,) and want something that can allow you to do all of your IM stuff without having more than just 1 program open, then I'd suggest giving this a shot. Any questions?

Trillian is another program like the one above.

Yahoo stores your buddy list on their servers, not locally. It doesn't matter much where you log on (beyond various details in the Preferences), as long as you've installed the software, obviously.

I don't know about MSN... I don't use it and don't plan to (for the reasons above, among others).

msn is the same user list is stored online.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]msn is the same user list is stored online.

Yup, it's the same the world 'round; MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, and so on- all of their buddy lists are stored online. Very little is actually stored on your computer (unless you have it save all of your conversations.) That's why just downloading the software and using the same username and password anywhere else works. The joys of the internet.
smile.gif

I just tried to install MSN IM on this pc at work and I get all the way to the installation part and it tells me that I need Windows 98, ME, XP or newer, as well as MS IE 5.0. This pc clearly has IE 5.0, because I checked. It is also and NT. ID NT not good enough and why does it tell me I need something that it already has?

When I tried to do the same with YIM, I got a message about installing Microsoft Virtual Machine. What is that? Also, it wants me to install Java. I already DID install Java! Why can't this computer just do these simple tasks that my own antiquated pc at home can do?
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cool85k5 @ Aug. 23 2005,7:03)]I know with yim you have to download it on your work pc,then login with your user name.Not sure if thats what you were talking about.

Jerry
I think I have it figured out. The pc I use at work is an NT 4.0 and it doesn't install the MSN IM or YIM. I'd have to go to my co-worker's XP to log onto my account.

Back