What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane katrina

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
I am glad I FINALLY have power! Do not get me wrong, I am VERY grateful that I still have a home to power, but the last week sucked- no AC, no gas, suffering people flooding in, no sleep while helping others, no communications, cell phone, computer,land line, etc! I had not seen pictures of the event (and radio just doesn't seem to cut it anymore) until last night, but I have experienced aspects of the evacuation efforts. It seems surreal until you actually talk face to face with someone that now has nothing except their clothes - not even knowledge of any living family or friends. All of SE LA will be changed forever, many evacuees that I have talked to do not plan on returning to New Orleans - They have nothing to return to and will have new lives before they would be allowed to. It is great to see all of the help coming in, but horrible to see all the death and trauma that delay has caused. Everything I have heard on the radio and now see on TV has been minimized - the real life version has been horrible for those forced to live it (I again count my blessings that a mere few miles provided me).
Live Katrina Post, then no power

Whew! YOU'RE OK!!!!!! Finally, word from Steve T. Been worried about you knowing where you were living. Yes, the news has been minimized horribly. British TV shows the bodies left behind whereas our TV does not. When Bush was shown walking down some streets, he was told to walk on the side there were no bodies on. Why? Because we as Americans don't need to see it in order to minimize the facts? Because we can't take it?? I saw British TV, and the bodies are stacked like cord wood, and it isn't pleasant. But neither was Vietnam. Show the Pres only in the best possible light? That Presidential punk waited much too long to do anything, whereas former Presidents were on the scene of disasters by the 2nd or 3rd day. Well, I guess George can't be bothered when he's on vacation. Gotta play that golf. There is NO EXCUSE he can use to prove to me he doesn't give a darn about anything but his own "class" of people. (I use the term class loosely----VERY loosely) He has proven to me he has no class at all. Only the General who went down there to get things done has shown any caring or class at all. What a guy! At last, a man with a heart! If you have not donated to the relief of these innocent victims, please do so if you can.

I think them comments were a tad tongue-in-cheek, Starman, but I wouldn't know being from Canada...
Our country is sending some help in the form of a small fleet of Navy ships with supplies and rescue personnell onboard. It is pretty ironic giving the lambasting Canada seems to take both in the media and economically for not joining the Iraq misadventure- if we'd signed on we would not have had any troops or equipment to send, much the same situation as the US is curently in

I am truly saddened by the pathetic response by the admin to this truly awful disaster, and I hope that the now way-too-late reaction from the federal government is large enough to at least help to ease the trauma that has been caused (although sadly I have a real bad feeling that Dennis Hastert will be the "voice" of the "reconstruction movement")

Great article! Thank jah for the Department of Homeland Security...

They couldn't even protect us from something they saw coming 3 days ahead of time...god forbid something unexpected happen.

Back