What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homo sapiens zoo exhibit

link.
What do you think? I think it's pretty cool. People need to be reminded we are apes.

We are not apes. There might be things about apes that closely relate to us but we are in no way apes. We are creations of God.

No matter what you believe about evolution or whatever, we are apes. It's basic taxonomy. Opposable thumbs, no tail, etc.
If you believe humans were created by god, I don't care, because if that's true then all species are created by god and if humans aren't apes then no classification is possible.

Well it all depends what you call an ape.

Lets look at the Webster's.

Webster's
"1 a : MONKEY; especially : one of the larger tailless or short-tailed Old World forms b : any of two families (Pongidae and Hylobatidae) of large tailless semierect primates (as the chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, or gibbon) -- called also anthropoid, anthropoid ape"

"Any of various large, tailless Old World primates of the family Pongidae, including the chimpanzee, gorilla, gibbon, and orangutan."

Saying that we are apes seems to be pushing it.

-Jeremiah-

bah, webster's definitions of science and species are BS. apes are NOT monkeys.
try wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Apes are the members of the Hominoidea superfamily of primates, including humans. Currently, there are two families of hominoids:
the family Hylobatidae consists of 12 species of gibbons, including the Lar and the Siamang, collectively known as the "lesser apes"
the family Hominidae consisting of gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans, and humans, collectively known as the "great apes".
or look at it's definition for "human"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] a bipedal primate belonging to the superfamily of Hominoidea, with all of the apes: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, and gibbons.
no (good) scientist will tell you we are not apes.

Read about this on AOL. Wish I could see it. I love being an ape. Chimp's rock. Too bad we don't have their dexterity in the trees as the gibbons as that would be incredibly fun. Oh well. I am gonna go eat a banana.

We're just animals in the same way anything else is - we just have bigger brains and advanced communication. Everything is made by God though  
smile.gif

Incidently, putting humans in zoos isn't new. Incredibly groups of black people were put in some zoos in America many years ago. Humans might have bigger brains than other apes, but we can be incredibly stupid quite a lot of the time.

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It isn't reality's job to satisfy our egos.
lol I love that!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Incredibly groups of black people were put in some zoos in America many years ago.
wait wait wait... actual real zoos?

I agree with Alpha somewhat. Apes are in no way shape or form monkeys. That's basic knowledge.
I really don't know if we're classified as apes but were are all primates (monkeys, apes, and humans).

I really don't want to go to a zoo to see humans, I see way to many everyday already. That would like going to Lowes to see the VFT's. sundews and pitcher plants.

I go to the Zoo everyday and see many amusing exhibits....my job.

Who cares im off for a Banana
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

I was created by my mother and father.

I don't like primates because they remind me too much of people. The last time I went to the zoo, I didn't even bother to go see the primates. If I want to see primates, all I have to do is open my eyes, and look at myself and everyone around me. I can't stand going to zoos now..they really bother me.

oh boy here we go again....

Humans are apes, regardless of the size of our brains. We have no tails, nails instead of claws, almost complete dependence on sight verses smell, color vison, our dental patterns is 2 1 2 3(which most people will not understand), ect. Apes are not monkeys, that is an awful definition and websters should be corrected. I challenge anyone to name something that humans have that makes them not apes and just so you know tools, culture, and war have all been shown in chimpanzees so those will not count.

Dictionaries just define common parlance. They tell you what people MIGHT mean when they say a certain word, which means real scientific words or math words, etc. are not defined how they should be.
monkeys are not apes, and humans are apes. There is no real debate about it.

OMG, it is common knowledge that apes and monkeys are NOT the same!!!
Not only are they different in size and stuff, but they would behave differently then Apes if you put them in particular situations.
For example you could put each in front of a mirror.
One would tryt ot alk to the mirror cos he would think he met another ape, while the other would look at himself much like a human would in front of a mirror(I forgot which one does what, but that very simple experiment shows how different they really are)

OK... back on topic... those wacky Brits
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Aug. 29 2005,8:21)]OK... back on topic... those wacky Brits
smile.gif
lol Im no Brit, Im a Bosnian and Im proud of it!
biggrin.gif

I live in England though
smile_n_32.gif

The last time I went to the Primate house at the zoo(my friend is the head keeper there)I got to go behind the scenes. I got to pet and hold hands with a gorilla! It's really weird how the gorillas looked me up and down...just like a human might check someone out. In a saloon, LOL!

I had to scrub my shoes and hands with disinfectant, and be sprayed all over with same before I was permitted to touch the animals. I have to say the high point was scratching a whyde rhino between the ears...they're really nice animals. They kind of reminded me of horses, in their actions. They have really hard and rough skin. I'll never forget it. aprilh

Back