What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate it...

Grrrr
mad.gif

My P. primuliflora and my D. filiformis ssp. filiformis are no more. They died for no apparent reason, when all the other plants are thriving. I guess it gets too hot and sunny here. And I didn't have any leaf cuttings either.
mad.gif

Ron, I can send you another P. primuiflora and two other cultivars of D. filiformis, if you would like (all red & California Sunset). PM me if you are interested.

While I have experienced the same, mine more die from something only Thomas Edison can appreciate!
biggrin.gif

P. primuliflora has a reputation for dying out often.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Aug. 27 2005,6:50)]Grrrr
mad.gif

My P. primuliflora and my D. filiformis ssp. filiformis are no more.  They died for no apparent reason, when all the other plants are thriving. I guess it gets too hot and sunny here. And I didn't have any leaf cuttings either.  
mad.gif
Im surprised filiformis has died, where were you keeping it?
This is a hardy plant and it doesnt like being indoors and it can take low and freezing temepratures in the winter

But P.prmuliflora can die even if things are seemingly going perfect lol

It was outdoors on my porch with all the other drosera. I wonder if the hot sun didn't kill it. We are having a heat wave right now. It looks like my ceph is on the way out also grrrr.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Aug. 28 2005,12:25)]It was outdoors on my porch with all the other drosera. I wonder if the hot sun didn't kill it. We are having a heat wave right now. It looks like my ceph is on the way out also grrrr.
then its not really for no apparent reason is it? lol
Try moving your Ceph into a shady position and keep the temperature down, it should be fine
smile_m_32.gif

The ceph IS in a shady spot. So were the other 2 plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Aug. 28 2005,1:24)]The ceph IS in a shady spot. So were the other 2 plants.
Then its too hot
They like cool nights
Is it gettign cool nights now? Is it gettign cooled during the day?
Cooling it is not a problem here in the UK, as every night of the year we get is cold-cool and it never gets extremely hot here, so is there any way you can cool it?

The D. filiformis and it's subspecies are my favorited. the plant i just got took out 112 heat wave in full sun with no qualms at all. i'm surprised yours died.

don't feel bad. i can't grow Dionaea. i've tried countless times but i just CAN'T grow it. they always die on me. i'm thinking about giving up especially when my cuptrap died!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it gettign cool nights now? Is it gettign cooled during the day?
I live in San Diego, about 5 miles from the coast. Typical Mediterranean climate. Hot during the day, cool at night. Perfect for highland neps.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so is there any way you can cool it?
I could put it indoors where the AC is running. I think it's too late for the ceph though. It looks like it is dying from the inside out. Usually when a plant gets too hot the leaves die first.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]don't feel bad. i can't grow Dionaea. i've tried countless times but i just CAN'T grow it. they always die on me. i'm thinking about giving up especially when my cuptrap died!
Mt VFT's are growing like weeds! I even have some that were sent to me and they looked like they weren't getting enough light. Even those are growing well now.

Well I went to pull a dead leaf off the ceph and the plant fell apart. GRRRR There were no roots left whatsoever. It appears that the soil was too wet. I guess I'll have to get another one soon. It took me a long time to find this one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Aug. 30 2005,1:51)]Well I went to pull a dead leaf off the ceph and the plant fell apart. GRRRR There were no roots left whatsoever. It appears that the soil was too wet. I guess I'll have to get another one soon. It took me a long time to find this one.
Oh yes, how wet were you keeping it? The reccomended watering is to fill up the water tray,w ait for it ALL to evaporate, then wait a few days before adding more

I'm breaking all the rules and getting away with it. I started a few Ceph leaf cuttings in live, swampy LFS and they're thriving. I think a lot has to do with what they have been acclimated to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The reccomended watering is to fill up the water tray,w ait for it ALL to evaporate, then wait a few days before adding more
That's EXACTLY what I've been doing. It still died. The only thing I can think of is, it was potted in live sphagnum when I got it. If I get another one I am going to pot it in 50/50 peat sand mix.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Aug. 31 2005,1:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The reccomended watering is to fill up the water tray,w ait for it ALL to evaporate, then wait a few days before adding more
That's EXACTLY what I've been doing. It still died. The only thing I can think of is, it was potted in live sphagnum when I got it. If I get another one I am going to pot it in 50/50 peat sand mix.
But live spaghnum is usually fine, they usually thrive in that

But if it doesnt work for you, then i guess its reasonable to try something else
smile_m_32.gif

I can possibly send you one of the cuttings, now small plants, if you would like.

OK, sounds good. I have a few pots sitting here that used to have plants in them. I'm still waiting for the other plants to arrive.

Ron, they should have arrived by now! Could you send me your address again?

Back