Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice evolution controversy article

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Alphawolf:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]god is not a theory, it's not even a hypothesis.
    The definition of "theory" as per Dictionary.com

the∑o∑ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-r, thÓr)
    n. pl. the∑o∑ries
    1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

2. The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.

3. A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.

4. Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory.

5. A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the crime.

6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

Religion, ergo "God" fits very neatly into definition 1. where it says "especially" but does not specifically say "limited to" repeated testing of satement or principle, and also definition 6. conjecture or assumption based on limited information.

Whether it is a good theory or not isn't relevant.

Cheers, Troy.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Troy, does this also apply to marriage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim: I plead the 5th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Religion, ergo "God" fits very neatly into definition 1. where it says "especially" but does not specifically say "limited to" repeated testing of satement or principle
    But religion does not fit into the other parts about "has been repeatedly tested" and "can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena". Otherwise, the word theory is being used in a colloquial sense. In that case, religion fits in nicely.
    Quote[/b] ]and also definition 6. conjecture or assumption based on limited information.
    See?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]But religion does not fit into the other parts..
    Doesn't say it has to?
    It says "A set of statements etc, ESPECIALLY one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena." which is not limiting.

I like blue, especially dark blue.
    This means I like ALL blue, I like dark blue more but that doesn't mean I don't like anything that isn't dark blue.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...not limiting by the dictionary.com definition. But limiting when it applies to the definition of a scientific theory. A scientific theory is a model of the natural world from which falsifiable hypotheses can be generated and be verified through empirical observation (which is a more precise way of saying 'it has been repeatedly tested and must be able to be used to make predictions about natural phenomena'). There's no 'especially' or differing shades. Like I said, there is a colloquial definition of the word theory, and then there is a scientific theory.

For example, the 'Theory of Intelligent Falling' is not a scientific theory because the Intelligent being or whatever it is is supernatural. It therefore shouldn't be taught in science class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]...not limiting by the dictionary.com definition. But limiting when it applies to the definition of a scientific theory.
    Limiting when applied to YOUR definition of a scientific theory!
    In which case you are taking the word "theory" in a specific context which only applies to whatever you are deciding it applies to.
    Dictionary.com, or virtually any other publicly available dictionary, gives the definition I have given and so this is likely to be more widely accepted.
    There are MANY words that have very specific menaings if you put them into certain contexts.

Michael I am enjoying this immensely but I have polished off a bit of vodka right now so I'm not 100% sure I'm making sense [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

I think I'll look at this again tomorrow.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this like Bill Clinton's definition of sex?

Wikepedia is even more accepted (dictionary.com and any other dictionary is written by only a few people, Wikepedia is surveyed by thousands) that's where I get my stuff. I don't know, I'm a 4th year grad student at Harvard University studying chemistry and biology. I'm Pretty sure I have a good grasp of the definition of scientific theory. But I guess I'll know for sure at my thesis defense!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast