What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane lee!

Its just been on the news that a new storm has been detected in the Atlantic Ocean east of Florida, they are calling it Lee but its highly likely that it will develop into another hurricane!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
And so soon after Katrina
smile_h_32.gif

204620W_sm.gif

The good news is it seems to be going the wrong way.

~ Brett

Dont forget hurricanes can change direction VERY quickly, so Im expecting a surprise about what it does next....

Yeah but I highly doubt that amy storm that is where this one is have ever made it into the gulf of Mexico.
Another thing to remember we are just now getting into the peak of hurricane seasons. September and October are the worse time for hurricanes. So there are sure to be many more coming in the next 6 to8 weeks.

That trajectory has all the makings of heading right for Europe. Watch out, Dino!

There are plenty of hurricanes every year, so the impact of Katrina doesn't have any effect on subsequent storms. Most don't make landfall in the US and if we had a topic for every hurricane we'd have a very cluttered board.

realizing that we're up to "L" in the hurricane alphabet this year already, and only Katrina has caused this kind of damage. this one looks like it's heading into colder waters though (will lose power), and most hurricanes tend to follow the gulf stream away from the U.S. coastline.

has a hurricane ever actually gone as far north as europe?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moonflower @ Sep. 02 2005,9:35)]realizing that we're up to "L" in the hurricane alphabet this year already, and only Katrina has caused this kind of damage. this one looks like it's heading into colder waters though (will lose power), and most hurricanes tend to follow the gulf stream away from the U.S. coastline.

Alright, just a quick tease, here, but somehow we missed Hurricane Heather!  
smile_m_32.gif
Seriously, the winds DO carry the storm systems that go north, from the Gulf Coast through the Mid-Atlantic/New England region, into the Atlantic Ocean. They head East and they could end up in Europe, but not with the severity of what hits our Southeast.

BTW, I can't wait until we get to 'R'. That will make my nickname for my daughter relevant - Hurricane Rachel.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moonflower @ Sep. 02 2005,9:35)]realizing that we're up to "L" in the hurricane alphabet this year already, and only Katrina has caused this kind of damage. this one looks like it's heading into colder waters though (will lose power), and most hurricanes tend to follow the gulf stream away from the U.S. coastline.

sort of

When hurricanes pass through the US they head straight for europe and they cause huge gales

Last autumn there was a huge tragedy in one of the islands off the west coast of scotland, where gales were blwoing at 120 mph, as strong as hurricane katrina
And one family decided to cross to another island and weather out the storm with some friends and family
But when they were crossing the birdge connecting the two islands the wind destroyed the bridge in frotn of them, then a huge wave came and the whoel vehicle was thrown into the sea
A few days later their bodies washed up on shore, except for a few of them, and in the following days the rest of their bodies were found on a beach

Very few hurricanes actually make it towards Europe and those that do usually end up to the west of the Azores High and become downgraded to tropical storms. If the conditions are right then they may encounter cold air moving down the Labrador strait, west of Greenland. This would cause a strong Atlantic depression to form, not having much in common with a hurricane, but if it weren't for the initial hurricane it wouldn't be there.
Then, depending on the jetstream and positions of nearby high and low cells, the new depression may be steered anywhere between NE Greenland, or even down into the Med.
A couple of weeks ago, all this occurred in the case of Hurricane Irene and a depression that was very deep for August (960mb) moved over Scotland. Winds were around 40mph sustained, with gusts of 70mph. Nothing to extreme for Britain, but unusual in August.
The couple who were washed away were hit by quite a nasty winter Atlantic storm I believe, with gusts of 100-120mph. No hurricane, but still not good.
August 1986 was affected by the remnants of Hurricane Charley. It wasn't the windiest spell of weather for August, and the pressure was only 990mb, but it dumped a lot of rain on the UK.

Rrea00119860826.gif

Hurricane Charley was the one I was in while at the beach in the Outer Banks, N.C. (only I thought it was '85).   I have a T-shirt that says "I survived Hurricane Charley".  It wasn't too bad...Cat 1.  It was an interesting experience.  Water was squirting in through the windowsills and trickling under the doors.  House was rocking, no power and we had no TV (for news).  We did have a radio though to keep up with what was going on.  The next day dawned bright and sunny like nothing ever happened.  There was damage but nothing too bad.

Hey Dino and Alexis...I was curious as to what you are seeing/hearing on the news there about what is going on here.  I was wondering if the airtime on news channels outside of the U.S. is as saturated with it as here...and if people outside of our country are getting the full scope (and horror) of what has happened.  It is so, so bad and growing worse every day.  Too many people need help and its all hampered by no electricity, poor communication, debris-clogged roads, etc.

Our company is having a fund-raising event on Wed. selling hot dogs and baked goods.  Money will go the Red Cross.

We had a car wash for the tsunami relief and raised about $3,000 in just a few hours.

Should be easier to cook hot dogs than wash cars.  
confused.gif

And the hits just keep on coming...

031210W_sm.gif

Luckily, this one appears to be going the wrong way again.

But here's what we have to expect:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]-- From Wikipedia --

Mid-season outlook

On August 2, 2005, NOAA released an updated outlook on the remainder of the season. The outlook calls for from 18 to a record-tying 21 tropical storms, 9 to 11 hurricanes, and 5 to 7 becoming major hurricanes. The ACE value is now forecast to be 180 to 270 percent of the median. These figures are roughly twice those of a normal season. While June and July were unusually active, August and September are expected to contain the peak of seasonal activity as in most seasons. NOAA notes a higher than normal confidence in the forecast of above-normal activity. [5]

On August 5, 2005, Dr. Gray and his associates followed suit, and issued their updated forecast. It is consistent with the NHC's update, calling for 20 tropical storms, 10 hurricanes, and 6 major hurricanes. [6]

Well at least we've gotten through a few of the predicted storms...

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Sep. 02 2005,5:39)]Hey Dino and Alexis...I was curious as to what you are seeing/hearing on the news there about what is going on here.  I was wondering if the airtime on news channels outside of the U.S. is as saturated with it as here...and if people outside of our country are getting the full scope (and horror) of what has happened.  It is so, so bad and growing worse every day.  Too many people need help and its all hampered by no electricity, poor communication, debris-clogged roads, etc.
News about the suffering of the people in new orleans after hurricane katrina has virtually dominated the headlines, people are enraged and disgusted how President Bush failed to act straight away to send aid. His popularity rating has took yet another plunge.....but I wouldnt say he was exactly popular in the first place.
They are also saying more people died from starvation and disease then the actual hurricane and theres reportedly abour 10,000 dead. From what we are hearing here, its not hampered by poor communication and no electricity, its the failure for Bush and his followers to react quickly. Yesterday we saw pictures of trucks arriving with food, water and medicine.......now why couldnt that happen a few days earlier? Those who are now dead from starvation and disease and injuries could have been saved
They are also saying that Bush's reaction when he heard of the plight of the people in New Orleans was "So small it wouldnt make a difference if he didnt care at all"

Looks like Maria is heading toward Europe or Greenland.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 03 2005,6:10)]Looks like Maria is heading toward Europe or Greenland.
it is?? darn, gonna get gales so soon again......
smile_o_32.gif

I've heard that many other countries have offered aid and money...including Castro in Cuba. He said he couldn't kick an adversary when they're down. Australia has offered $7+ million. But...also heard no one has accepted the aid yet. How stupid. They need every dime and every hand they can get.

Its absolutely unimaginable how bad it is along the gulf coast.
smile_h_32.gif

Back