What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amber is driving me nuts!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Amber is the name of my Mercury intrument and was named after the ex-girlfriend of my co-worker, Brad. I normally run Mercury twice a week, usually Tuesdays and Fridays. Usually, my Tuesday run sails through without a problem, But on Fridays, when it would be real nice to just chill a bit - things happen. Sometimes the software crashes. Then it's probably time to do some archiving and get rid of old data. Sometimes the probe gets hung up in there and doesn't actually read the sample. Sometines the probe strangles itself with the capillary tube. On rare occasion, it is "operator error". Today, as I write, I have had to restart this run for the fifth time, redoing the calibration curve - and I just seem to get past this.

It's Friday and it knows.

lol our presses are the same way. they work perfectly unless its crunch time. normally i can print envelopes with no problems what so ever but now that ive got rush orders for about 12,000 envelopes the pres is refusing to ru them

Rattler, what kind of presses do you run? I was a pressman for years. I ran Halm Jets and SuperJets. All they did was envelopes! Doubled up, they could run 60K of them an hour.

lol ive got one press that is so old you have to push start it, no joke. normally i run a Solna 125(our big press for posters and the Culbertson paper, ours is printed off site), Multilith 1250LW's(letterheads, envelopes, tickets, ect), ive got a Heidelberg but i forget which its a 9"x12" windmill type(numbering, scoring, perferating ect) and we have a Chandler & Price press with a Kluge feeder(this is my push start PITA used for scoring 11x17 type stuff and for printing ribbons) ive got ancient equipment but it runs, heck the older it is the less temprimental it is. the Heidelberg is 55 years old and the only time it doesnt work is when i scrw up. the feeder on our C&P hadnt been run since the mid 60's(we normally hand feed it) but we decided to use it for a job this spring. 45 minutes of tinkering and it worked just fine. the stpid Multiliths wil just not work cause they dont want to some times though

It is very cool you are a pressman. i always got great satisfaction out of printing..I could immediately see the results of my hard work, and i did good work.

you need to get yourself a halm 6" jet press if the main thing you're doing is envelopes. They're quick!  

I've ran AB Dicks and Mielhe's and multi-liths.  i think i ran a solna for a bit, too.  
smile_m_32.gif

i also ran, and set up a machine called a "wheel" which was this huge machine that put the self seal stuff on self seal envelopes.

nah the main stuff i run is NCR forms, letterheads and such its a small town and i do a bit of everything including printing the hand books for the schools and even because of a 2nd party, printing some military contracts for targets and such. its fun for the most part. for some reason this week two county departments and a couple buisnesses that get large orders of envelopes all have about run out at the same time, makes my life hell for a lil while.

And now for something completely different....

Anyways, true to form, Amber did just fine on Tuesday's Mercury run, with nary a problem. And what will Friday bring....?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyways, true to form, Amber did just fine on Tuesday's Mercury run, with nary a problem. And what will Friday bring....?

Best of luck with your runs today, Jim!

Thanks, J.T.! Amber forgot what day it was and the Mercury run went very well.

Back