What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics from my michigan trip.

Hey,
So I went to Michigan for the last week with a bunch of family, and stayed at Torch Lake, which is in the northwest part of the state. I've heard that there are cps nearby, in the swampy areas surrounding Lake Skegemog (formerly Round Lake). I have no idea precisely where, however. So one day we set out to do some looking. We'd seen a sign for a promising area:
MI_Skegemog_sign.sized.jpg

We went down the path, which went for just a mile before culminating in a platform overlooking the swamp. The pathstarted out like this photo, then wound into the woods:
MI_pathway.sized.jpg

Along the way, we saw plenty of cool things, including lots of frogs:
MI_frog.sized.jpg

And we came upon a lot of promising looking areas, with lots of sheets of good looking sphagnum:
MI_sphagnum.sized.jpg

But alas, no cps. We have a family cabin nearby, though, so I will return!

Torch Lake is awesome, by the way. It's crystal blue water with a sandy bottom. Check it out in these two pics:
MI_lake.sized.jpg

MI_sailboat_640.sized.jpg

Caplsock

Wow, it looks so beautiful there. Too bad you didn't find any CPs. Maybe next time
biggrin.gif

That lake looks very nice.

That looked like a promising place to find cp's. The funny thing is, most of the time when you find cp's, you'll find one, and then another, and then five more, and then you'll notice that you had been walking in them the whole time. I have also found cp's in a same place that I have looked many times.
So don't give up hope.

looks like a good place to look for orchids, around early July would be prime.

Wow...what a beautiful place! And a great place to explore. Hope you get a chance to go back and root around.
smile.gif

Ah, brings back memories of Michigan. Torch Lake really is beautiful, whether on it or above.
If you find the time, try going up to Beaver Island; I've found at least 2 (maybe 3) Utric species there and the island's known to be home to Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea, Pinguicula (forgot which species), and MAYBE (not sure) Drosera. Could always ask the CMU profs there.
Great pics by the way!

Cheers

Back