What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newly planted cps

I received several VFT cultivars and a D. californica within the last 3 weeks. New growth is apparent on all plants. The Cobra Lily is the only plant I grow in a bright windowsill indoors as the last 2 weeks has brought forth close to 7 newly forming pitchers about 5" in length and growing and she seems to like it there. The VFTs looked pretty weak for a while but within the last week new growth has been apparent (thx Bugweed - your advice worked very well). The VFTs are inside at the moment but will be going outside for the remainder of the season tonight. My question is this... since these are newly potted plants, would it be OK to skip dormancy. I'd like to make sure they are healthy enough to put them to sleep for the winter here in Buffalo but unfortunately that growth may not appear until a few more months well into the dormancy period. Temps are already ranging from mid 70s day and mid 50s at night.

Hmmmm.. how old are the actual plants?? if they grew from seeds this season you may be alright, otherwise I think some kind of dormancy could be sort of necessary for optimum growth- maybe if you could just leave them in a cooler, dimmer window and let the get at least some kind of dormancy- I live pretty much due west of you in Niagara Falls and I know that the winter could be pretty harsh, this will be my first year of leaving VFTs out overwinter so I am not too certain on that, and D.californica is one I have not yet tried to grow...

But if there's any way, you should give them SOME sort of dormancy

Now wait til the "dormancy debating team" shows up for some better info

When I was brand new to this hobby, 2 years ago, I purchased a typical TC cobra lily from Lowes. I posted about it and got a "blind" PM from Bugweed, imploring me to put it into dormancy. I think we have the same scenario.

Back