What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

300 pound bear my dad shot today

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
my dad shot this today. he was hunting for deer but this ran up upon him. he shot it with a recurve bow. He was about 10 feet from the charging bear. He aimed for the neck, but the bear turned and he hit it through the chest. It went through both lungs and the stomach.

It shot it at Dawson Forest in N. GA. He shot it whithin his first hour of hunting on opening day.

bear003.jpg

bear004.jpg

This bear wasn't in NC last week was it?

Wheres the pics?

nice one. i havent hunted bear yet. hope to maybe try mountain lion next year. this year its just deer and speed goats. deer tenderloin medalions in mushroom gravy mmmmmmmm

What's a speed goat?
confused.gif

Dino, a being was going to die. it was either my father or the bear. get over it.

if one day you are charged my a raging bear, i hope to god YOU don't shoot it.

JustLikeAPill, I know that a being was going to be killed either way. Better the bear than your dad. But one can still feel sympathy for the bear, I do. A great animal lost it's life and should still be respected. After all the bear didn't do anything wrong, it was just being a bear.

I live in NW New Jersey, and we have the highest concentration of black bears in the U.S.. I see a bear on average 2-3 per week. The incidence of bear encounters has increased dramatically over the past five years or so, due mainly to the reduction of bear habitat. The housing explosion in my next of the woods has been unbelievable. The Appalacian trail is approx. 1 1/2 miles from my house. A hiker on the trail was bitten on the leg while asleep in his sleeping bag(caught on video by a fellow camper) about three weeks ago. Why the fellow hiker went for his camera instead of scaring off the bruin remains a mystery. They're debating whether or not to have a bear hunt this year. N.J. had a hunt two years ago, it was the first one in 35 years. There was no hunt last year, and there is a heated debate on having a hunt this year.

considering the population of both humans and black bears, and the dates and the number of those attacks, not to mention it's over the whole of north america, that's nothing. More people get killed by bees every year. Heck, I think more people get killed by falling coconuts (oh... just searched. 150 people worldwide are killed by falling coconuts each year. can you imagine? "how did billy die?" "oh, a coconut fell on his head and killed him")... at least that's the case with shark attacks (12 deaths a year worldwide)
and don't even get me started on how many people are killed by people like every darn day.

lets please not let this turn into another debate. i posted this because i know a few people like Rattler like to hunt. i didn't post it to start a debate.

I'm glad your Dad wasn't hurt. I know that was a bad situation and he had to do that to be safe. But, like Ozzy said, I hate seeing a magnificent animal like that killed. Your Dad was in his territory...not the bear in your Dad's. Its a shame it came to that. But like I said, I'm glad your Dad is OK.

And people can talk about bears and hunting if they want to. Nothing wrong with that.

I remember hearing the guide in a Kenyan game park explaining why he carried a rifle. He said it was purely to reassure the tourists, and if he fired it he would be fired himself.
The point being, if he does his job properly he won't get into a situation where he needs to use the rifle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Sep. 10 2005,10:14)]considering the population of both humans and black bears, and the dates and the number of those attacks, not to mention it's over the whole of north america, that's nothing. More people get killed by bees every year. Heck, I think more people get killed by falling coconuts (oh... just searched. 150 people worldwide are killed by falling coconuts each year. can you imagine? "how did billy die?" "oh, a coconut fell on his head and killed him")... at least that's the case with shark attacks (12 deaths a year worldwide)
and don't even get me started on how many people are killed by people like every darn day.
yeah, plus a lot of bears are endangered, and if you go on its territory youre putting yourself at risk, so its not exactly the bears fault if you get charged; its just protecting its territory

And there are ways to repel a bear without killing it
And yeah, TonyC I agree with you, if a person is doing the job properly they wont usually encounter a huge bear

Its simple: If you dont want to encounter a huge bear which might kill you, then dont go on its territory

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its simple: If you dont want to encounter a huge bear which might kill you, then dont go on its territory
Dino, I live where these bears live. If I go outside my door there is the potential that I will encounter a bear. What am I suppose to do? Live inside my whole life.
While it's highly doubtful that I'll encounter a bear unless I go into the woods, the posiablity is there.
Dino do you like seeing pics of wild cp's that people (including myself) here post's? How do you think we get those photos without going into a bears territory? Everytime I go into the woods to look for cp's or snakes I put myself in it's territory. I wouldn't shoot one unless I had to, but I have to be prepared to do so.
I really don't like to see any animal killed, but sometimes it's nessasary.

The real problem is simply that there are too many people on this earth.
They killed a tiger in Sumatra last week because it ate some guy who was (probably illegally) clearing the jungle.

Eventually, everything is going to "get in our way" and we're going to have to kill it for some reason or other...

This isn't a judgement on anyone, I killed three rats this week so I'm as guilty as anyone.

I spent lots of time alone in bear territory in Maine and never felt a need to carry a gun.  And it wasn't because of any deep seated animosity towards guns.  I have guns.  I just never felt the need.  I placed myself in far more risk by being alone where I could have been injured in any number of ways, with the most improbable being a bear attack.

My heart skipped a beat the first time I came across fresh bear tracks on a wet morning, but the only two bears I ever saw were while I was in a car.  I have no doubt I was close enough to bears at other times that they knew I was around, but I never knew they were.  The only time I encountered anything that really scared me was when I came across some guys walking along a ridge with one carrying a shotgun.  They said the were hunting but, unless they were shooting hawks catching an updraft, there was nothing other than me to hunt up there.  Either way, I didn't want to be around and cut my day short.  A bear is a much more predictable threat.

But this in no way is a criticism of someone who shoots a charging bear.  Yes, wildlife biologists say a bear is probably bluffing, but that's easier said without a bear charging at the time.

I have never hunted bear. Those picker bushes are killer when you are bear naked! Hey, that is just my opinion. Nice bear! It is deer season already? In Michigan it does not start till October 1rst.

Back