What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with this pic?

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
This should be extremly easy. I have some better pics of this but it's so easy I got to start out with a pic where it's hard to see. If nobody can get it, I'll start posting the other pics. Feel free to ask any questions.

19751493O930221608.jpg

umm... babies growing from the scape of the third drosera from the bottom?

What Clint said.
biggrin.gif

Jerry

I knew it would be too easy.
smile_h_32.gif

Well here are the rest of the pics.
19750704O889692616.jpg

19750818O470764621.jpg

19751028O774213556.jpg

19751175O887259140.jpg

19751211O264861970.jpg

The wierd thing is that about half of the D.intermedias growing in this area had plants growing from the flower scape. So is this evidence of a mutation?

i think it's something worth further investigation. definately.

Well, who wants to come with me to start an experiment? And how do we procede with it.

So, what you are saying is that vegetative propogation is impossible for this species?

I'm not saying anything, other that I think it's strange that so many of the plants in that colony have plantlets on thier scapes. It makes me wonder if this is a trait that is passed along to the offspring. This could make a cool curtivar if it is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, who wants to come with me to start an experiment? And how do we procede with it.
well, you'd take a regular one and put it in the exact same conditions those are in, and if it does the same thing then you'd know it's because of the environment.
then you could try experimenting to see exactly what (if it's a single thing) makes them do that. the water, light, etc. or if maybe it's a combination of thigns.
or you could take some of those and put them in other environments. if they keep doing it, even if others in the same environment don't, then it's definately genetic. if they don't, oh well.
lol

It could be genetic. The question is, if these plantlets produce roots of their own if put in contact with the soil? See if you can test that. that would make it vastly easter tp quiclly grow it up to size. i wonder of this trait is carried or lost in the seeds? Test and see if its hereteble by seeds.  Vegetive  cuttings of  the plants seen producing plantlets deffinatly should be undertaken to see if they will producde plantlets  like these pictured.

Back