What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Political cartoon

Someone asked me to do a political cartoon for their zine. Some of you might like it, it's harsh but here you go:

vang1.jpg

The sticker on the jury box can be seen on any number of cars and trucks in Hayward, WI (I have relatives there). Yes, Hmong is mis-spelled on the real stickers, not just here for effect.
Incase the image leaves you wondering, I don't thing a fair trial is possible, nor do the asian or white & asian married couples at work.
smile_h_32.gif

Reminds me of the many (not all) Michigan countryside folks.

I dont get it..
of course, not being local, I probably wouldnt..
whats a mung?
and whats a hmong?

Scot

I got the same questions as Scotty.

The Hmong are a tribe from the West Central Highlands of Vietnam.  They were recruited by us to help in the fight against the North Vietnamese.
One of my very good friends was a member of a contract team assigned to that area and described them as U.S. friendly and loyal allies.  He said they are proud, independent, tough, jungle savy people who take no prisoners.  The North Vietnamese were reluctant to even enter Hmong territory.  They carved many small airstrips on jungle ridge lines to allow the contract Air America guys to resupply them.  
However tough they are, I seriously doubt that one person would take on five or six people unless he was forced into it...anyway he won the battle...but will probably lose the war.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Sep. 14 2005,4:11)]However tough they are, I seriously doubt that one person would take on five or six people unless he was forced into it...anyway he won the battle...but will probably lose the war.
still dont get it..
smile_l_32.gif

who is "he"?
who are the 5 or 6 people?
what battle?
what war?

what is this about??
smile_l_32.gif

Scot

Aaaah...mmm.  Josh do you want to tell everyone about the case in question.
It is obvious that Scotty is not aware of particulars of the story.

Here's a link to a bunch of articles:
http://www.twincities.com/mld....hooting

quick synopsis:
Hmong guy is lost in the woods, directed to a deer stand by some hunters, Deer stand happened to be on someone elses land, those other poeple saw him began hollering racial slurs and threats. They left came back with more people who yelled more and somehow got him out of the tree and chased him while shooting at him. So Vang shot back. Now of course, it's a murder trial, not a self denese trail had it been the other way around...

Oh yeah I remember that now.

from what I understand, Vang got pissed because some of the people told him to leave private property. So Vang shot them all..some of them in the back..which kind of takes away the self defense excuse.

I read a lot about it at the time and it didn't look like there's a single reliable witness.  But there seemed to be little doubt the accused snapped.  It was a hellish situation, whether he created it himself or the others started it.  But that's what can happen when the kind of people who yell at the TV or at a little league umpire come together in the woods with guns.

Back