What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So yeah I grow indoors in a box. I was wondering if any of my plants need a winter rest? Heres a list and some pics:

D. binata T-form
D. binata multifida
D. capensis 'Narrow Leaf'
D. capensis 'Albino'
D. spatulata
U. bisquamata
U. dichotoma
U. livida
U. sandersonii
U. longifolia
U. subulata
U. tricolor
G. violacea (giant)
S. alata (seeds in cold stratification right now; they'll be ready to plant around Oct 31st) seems fitting lol >;-D

yes
no
no
no
no
the utrics i don't know, I think sandersonni doesn't need a dormancy
and I think sarrencia seedlings can skip dormancy for 1 or 2 years.

So the binata t-form needs a rest?? And the other sundews dont. So now i just need to find out about the utrics.

Coincidently, I have all of those plants. I can't speak for the Genlisea, since I have only had mine since this summer, but all of the Utrics have wintered over for me just fine on a window sill, where the temps naturally got down into the 60's. And of course their photoperiod was followed the seasonal pattern.

As Brian indicated, the D. binata will shut down for the winter, while the others will slow down. My D. binata from last year, though, were kept outside into November, so they got got colder than the window sill plants, before I brought them in for the duration of the winter. By January, they began life anew. I wasn't sure if they were coming out of dormancy because they went from 30's->60's or because the photoperiod was increasing. Maybe both. I was concerned that they were coming out of it too soon, but the way they grew and flowered for me seems to indicate that they had adequate rest.

I don't think the D. binata complex needs dormancy. It will briefly go dormant if you leave it out in the dark and cold, but I've been told that it isn't necessary.
Those Sarr seeds should maybe stay inside for their first year if they're almost done stratifying already. I think if they've been in the fridge this long, they'll be expecting spring-like weather when they germinate, and I don't know how they'll fare through winter. I believe Bugweed raises Sarr seeds indoors with high light levels and long photoperiods for an entire year before putting them outside for their first dormancy.
~Joe

The ICPS says D.Binata needs dormancy.
I would believe them.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_binata.htm

I have put my big D. Binata in the fridge with my VFT's and Sarrs every winter for 10 years..
every spring when it comes out of the fridge it looks totally dead..all the leaves black.
but it always pushes up new growth from below ground.
the old leaves dont stay greenish like they do with VFTs and sarracenia, so it looks bad in the spring!
but thats normal...

"southern and eastern Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand"
has winters equilivant to the central US..
http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm?SiteID=552
40's fahrenheit.
about the same as VFT's native climate..a bit colder actually.

Scot

Back