What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isnt it illegal?

i was wondering i was gona make a rock garden with some c's i live in houston tx but my dad brought up it could be illegal could you guysgive me a list of plants that wont spread very fast so ican control them or at all iof posible

Growing CP's outside is not illegal. Maybe if you were just planting non-native species in the middle of a forest that you didn't own, but planting them in your garden is quite within the bounds of the law.

-D. Lybrand

Yes, growing CPs outdoors in your garden is far from illegal. Like dlybrand said, planting a Cape Sundew in a forest in California would be illegal. This is because Cape Sundews are native to South Africa and don't grow in California, and it would upset the ecosystem.

The habitats that CPs occupy are so specialized that the chance of them spreading is pretty much impossible.  The only way would be to take CPs and plant them directly into a bog habitat. If you were to take Cape sundews and plant them in a forest in California, they would die, unless the habitat already supports CPs.

Brian

I can understand the concern, buddha, but I wouldn't worry.

To the others on the list: there are some plants that are illegal to plant even in private gardens in some states. Examples in Indiana are: purple lustrife and kudzu. This is due to the fact that not only are they non-native, but in the local climate they spread in an aggressive and uncontrollable way.

AFAIK no CPs are illegal in this manner. As others have mentioned, CPs generally grow in such a specialized setting that to get them to spread would be HIGHLY unlikely.

Now it makes me wonder about all those Darlingtonia, Sarracenia, VFT's, and Utrics that sailed down Wyomissing Creek in the past year....???

Rock garden? When I think of rock garden I think of aridish sandy well drained soils sloping landscape and big boulders etc. Not a very friendly habitat to CP's.

Unless your rock garden is in the middle of a sphagnum peat bog I wouldn't worry about plants becoming invasive.

I hope you didn't really mean rock garden though!

Guys, Albion Bog, Fort Bragg, California supports D. capensis, d. binata (several forms), d. peltata, and a host of others. Don't know who started it, but they did a great job. VFT's, too. We won't talk about the sarrs.

none of those plants are illegal. Maybe your dad is trying to discourage you, maybe to save his own garden. The kinda plants that are illegal are things like Marajuana, Angel Trumptes, Peyote and other narctic producing plants. CP dont produce anything that people would treasure as a means of intoxication. You dont have a darn thing to worry about. The only legal issue is sending seeds/plants out and in the country via the postal service.

Edited for legality purpose.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Sep. 27 2005,1:12)]Rock garden?   When I think of rock garden I think of aridish sandy well drained soils sloping landscape and big boulders etc.  Not a very friendly habitat to CP's.

Unless your rock garden is in the middle of a sphagnum peat bog I wouldn't worry about plants becoming invasive.

I hope you didn't really mean rock garden though!
no by rock garden i mean a garden enclosed by rocks (my own personal colection)

CP can be grown anywhere you want to plant them, if you own it. Tell your dad it's ok to grow CP outdoors, and there are no restrictions known for their growing outdoors. They should do well in Houston. Very well.

Back