What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would this mixture work?

i have a baby pool and some plants on the way and i was palning on using 50% Sta-Green 8 Qt. Professional Sphagnum Peat Moss.
and 50% Quikrete 50 Lb. Play Sand. its been Sterilized, strained and screened and maybe some Sta-Green 8 Qt.  Professional Perlite if not those what is beter?

not sure what Sta-Green is, but if its a fertizer, i dont know. you want many organic stuff. so the Sphagnum Peat Moss and the sand should be ok. Some people may argu the sand because it might have nutrients in it. whatever your mixture is it needs to be able to retaine mositure/water, and above average acidity on the PH scale. which is why peat and sphangum moss are ideal, because they are acidic. ive suggested the idea of adding coffee to your soil because it is very acidic, but have never actually tried. i would also sterilize your moss if it is in small scale form just in case of mold. the way to do this is to put it in a microwave safe tubberware container and microwave for 5 minutes.

Check the sand by pouring some white vinegar on it. If it fizzles you know off the bat it's no good. Silicon or quartz sand is safe; many others contain lime, I believe, and that leaches into the soil and causes severe root burn and eventually root rot in CPs.
~Joe

i think ill just use perlite and sandblasting or silicone sand throw in some coffe beansd for acidity i read it on the forums cant remember the name

The sphagnum you have should be fine - you don't need to add acidity. I don't know that coffee beans will work; they haven't really been tested with CPs so far as I've read on the forums here and may act as fertilizer. For your first foray into CPs, it would probably be safest to stick with the basics.
~Joe

wait a minute. its possible i could have my ideas mixed up, but i believe if you use oyster shells (calcium carbonate, pet store) it'll neutralize the lime in the sand. somebody back me up. just crush it up and add about a table spoon per 3 liters or so. im sure i got the details mixedup thou, might need some research to confirm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i think ill just use perlite and sandblasting or silicone sand throw in some coffe beansd for acidity i read it on the forums cant remember the name

that was my post, unless sombody had the same idea. i dont know if it works, but i as a matter of fact just came from the pet store and bought Coco Fiber. im gonna use that and hydrate it with coffee and another with tea and see what results. let everyone know if it works.

If your intention is to create a bog, peat and sand are your best options--perlite will likely not suffice as it will float to the top of the water. The peat must be free of fertilizer and the sand must be free of soluable minerals and salts which are often found in play sand. If you use it, you must thoroughly rinse it (as it seems you did). However, even when washed, play sand is very fine and creates a very dense mixture which may not be favorable for roots to grow in. Thus, silica/quartz pool filter sand (looks white) is the best--it is often larger and has minimal salts.

You may buy large quantities of peat at a local plant nursery, and the silica sand is easily bought at a local pool shop.

I would avoid adding acids or bases to your bog. While it is true that CPs generally favor acidic conditions over basic conditions, there is an optimal pH range for healthy growth. Acidity above or below this range can harm them. The peat in your bog will BY ITSELF likely produce a pH value within the optimal range.

If your intention is to create a bog, I would post a quick question in the Sarracenia forum as many of these people have bogs but some don't read this particular forum.

Good luck.

Greetings,

Keep it as simple as possible:  1 part sphagnum peat to 1 part sand.  No additives are neccessary.  I have used the play sand you mentioned and it works just fine. I have also used quartz sand blasting sand, and it works too. I prefer the sand blasting sand because it doesn't have all the fine particles, but in a pinch "play sand" will work. On the back of the package of peat it will list the ingredients.  If it says:  "100% Canadian sphagnum peat moss", it will work just fine.  If there are other unwanted additives to the peat (like fertilizer) it will list them in the ingredients.

Keep it simple.

Brian

ok im using 50/50 shpangum peat and silaca sand one question thoug how do you mix it like cake bater so its blended or a litle here a litle there

Mix it dry in a shallow container with your hands or a small tool like a hand shovel. Do this until you don't see patches of pure peat or sand. It's best to do this by adding/mixing the ingredients gradually (instead of, say, adding all the peat then throwing all the sand on top of it, then trying to mix).

What works for me is the 100% Canadian peat & dried LFS from Lowes or H.D. I use the sand that comes from pool supply places, for filters. All media is rinsed before using. Total cost: $14.

What works for me is the 100% Canadian peat & dried LFS from Lowes or H.D. I use the sand that comes from pool supply places, for filters. All media is rinsed before using. Total cost: $14, and it lasts for quite awhile!

Back