What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fun with tds meters

Since I got my TDS meter, I started flushing out pots with distilled water.

Many pots were showing initial TDS readings of 50-80 ppm in the initial flushout water.  I kept flushing until the reading was below 35 ppm.

Some new soil I mixed is troublesome.  Many plants have not done well in it, and a few have died.

When I checked the TDS reading from these pots, it was ~200 ppm!

These pots were filled with peat that (for the first time) I had rinsed well (with rainwater), and mixed with sandbox sand.  It took a long time for the readings to drop, and once they did, I found if i rinsed a day later, the readings were very high, again.

What's the deal? Maybe the sand is not pure quartz, and is leaching in the acidic peat?

I would soak the peat and sand in separate containers, and then test the water. Perhaps both are to blame.

Brian

With my newly-cleaned gutters, and yesterdays rain, I secured 60 gallons of water with only 6 ppm TDS.

I dumped out most of the water over 10 ppm, and dumped a few 5-gallon pails that registered 50 ppm.

I have a few buckets measuring 13 ppm which i will replace with fresh water as i get it.

I hope this effort will translate into renewed vigor in my plants.

I've noticed my U. calycifida 'Mrs. Marsh' started sending up a flower after i flushed the pot out. maybe a coinkydink, though.

Back