What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this any good?

I've been thinking about buying a couple of these from IKEA, they are like 15 bucks and not only are they adorable I think they would work pretty well. Any thoughts from you experts out there? ( hehehe )

30015_PE117805_S3.jpg

Length: 19 ¾ "
Width: 9 ½ "
Height: 9 ¾ "

what are you looking at growing? they are probably to small unless your sticking to sundews and Utrics in which case you dont need a terrarium of any type as most species dont require the extra humidity. most neps will get wider than the 9.5 inches in short order. i had an amp go from 4 inches to over a foot in 4 leaves.

however those doo look interesting for growing my orchids in.....................

Haha, I don't know what I will be growing in them yet, I just think they are neat looking. I suppose if one was to prop the slanted lid up with something they could put larger plants in it too.

I think they would look good in my fish/frog room.
smile.gif

lol ok than heres my take on them. i doubt your going to get enough light in them to grow anything but Utrics, the tops really arent ideal for setting lights on. they are neat tanks and i wouldnt mind one for some my orchids since i generally suspend my lights from something so i dont have to worry about setting them on top of a tank.

you really dont need extra humidity for growing most Pings and Utrics and Drosera. with Pings and most Drosera light is much more important than humidity. humidity generally only is an issue for Neps, and Helis and a handful of Utrics and Drosera. you wouldnt believe how well some of the species do in as lil as 10-20% humidity as long as their soil stays wet and they get good light.

I agree that most utrics and dews do just fine outside of a terrarium and, in fact, have recently moved most of mine out of terraria and onto grow racks where the lighting is the same but the temperatures are much (10-15F) lower.  The humidity dropped ~20% but they are just as sticky as before. The bottom line is two things you must be cautious of when setting up a terrarium is overheating and poor air circulation.  These are common features of most setups and can easily eliminate any advantage of somewhat higher humidity.

I have a similar setup that I built myself. I use it for growing Nepenthes indoors. Mine is much larger, and the top is level so I can set growlights on it. If you have access to some basic tools, you can build one for very cheap, and have it the size you want.

Brian

I have the exact greenhouse also bought from IKEA for 9$
I grow some terrestrial utrics, some drosera and a Ceph in there in a westfacing windowsill...its really good...humidity stays above 70% at all time higher after watering. (OBS I have a 60%RH in my room)
So there is no problem yet with it..

Back