What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milled sphagnum?

How is milled sphagnum as a growing medium?

I ran some LFS through a food processor yesterday, and found the resulting mix much spongier and less prone to compaction than peat as i flushed it through with water.

I mixed up about a gallon of medium that is 2:1:1 milled spagnum/peat/coarse quartz sand.

I have discovered, since I got a TDS meter, that the peat bale i was using was incredibly high in mineral content. After rehydrating, inital runoff water measured typically several hundred PPM.

It's fantabulous, IMHO, especially for germinating Drosera seed(and other CP).
Tamlin made the same discovery you did about peat(Where can you get a TDS meter that is not a POS like mine?) and soaks/rinses his peat very well before use.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Oct. 26 2005,12:32)](Where can you get a TDS meter that is not a POS like mine?)

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Hanna-TDS-METER-PPM-Water-TESTER-On-SALE-NOW_W0QQitemZ6008557858QQcategoryZ116400QQssPageN

ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">eBay</a>.

I'm thinking of making a mix of milled sphagnum, and mulched (i.e. - also run through food processor) pine needles.  Coursely chopped, the needles should improve aeration, and provide acidity.  Plus, it'll be a mix very similar to the pine/sphagnum fields where these plants often grow.

Perhaps a mix of 9:1 milled sphagnum/mulched pine needles.

I use milled sphag to root all of my neps. I use it almost exclusively in my nep mixes (instead of LFS) and I have also used it in other cp (and orchid) mixes in place of some of the peat - mine is very high in TDS also (thank god for the cheap TDS meters now available!). The pine straw mix is an interesting idea.

Back