What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raising humidityin a terrarium

I would like to know an inexpensive way to raise the humidity in my 10 gallon terrarium above 40%. My neps grow fairly well in it, but don't produce many pitchers. Anybody know any inexpensive ways to raise the humidity to at least 50%?

fill the bottom with a half inch of pebbles and add water. only use pebbles that wont disolve in an acidic environment and wont leach minerals.

You can also partially cover or completely cover the top with something as long as you put a fan inside. My Nep. grows very well in my 75gal tank which is completely covered, but has a large muffin fan at one end blowing the entire time that the lights are on.

Sam

why does the tank have to be opened? won't that cool the terrarium?

Dig a hole down to the drainage layer and leave it open. Either that or put water in a spray bottle and mist the terrarium frequintly until humidity stays up.

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peanuts1gang @ Nov. 08 2005,7:24)]why does the tank have to be opened? won't that cool the terrarium?
Some people (like me) have to keep terrariums completly open or temps will get into the 100+ range. Even completly open temps in my terrarium range between 85-95.

-Rail

If I were you I would close it. And put a small fan in it.
Just mist 1-2 times a day and it should be about 80% humidity in there.
If it gets to hot then lift the lights about 1'' above the terraria.

Back