What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another light question

• Thread starter Dimka
  • Start date

Dimka

Sundewist
Hi people.
I was just wondering if you think 3x25W CFL are enough for a 10 gal classic? I think together they must do somewhere around 4500 Lumens, not considering the reflectors etc.
Lemme know what you think.
Thanks.

That'll do just fine for a 10 gallon. What plants are you considering growing in the tank?

D. Adelae, capensis, binata, aliciae, capillaris, venusta, possibly spatulata.
Thanks, glad to hear its enough... though I still think I should add one more...

Nah, that's perfect for those plants. If you want to add more it won't hurt them, but what you have will work great.

I would watch temps very closly. CF's with reflectors give off lots of heat, I have two 30W CF's on mine and on a normal day temps in the terrarium get into the mid 90's. And thats on a normal day, it took alot of trial and error to get temps under 100 on hot days.

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would watch temps very closly.  CF's with reflectors give off lots of heat,  I have two 30W CF's on mine and on a normal day temps in the terrarium get into the mid 90's.  And thats on a normal day, it took alot of trial and error to get temps under 100 on hot days.

I agree. Temperatures can be a hard thing to master. Only add more light if you can keep from cooking your plants

ummm I said they were CFL... I can put all 3 of them down my pants after 100 hours of non stop work and it would not be hot.
Not to worry my friends
smile.gif

Thanks for help
smile_n_32.gif

I have no problem with multiple high-wattage CFLs, so I don't think 3 small CFLs will be a big deal heat-wise. My tank(76 gal), is always ambient+2-3 degrees. That's with 170W of light, and a reflector.

I have a really large tank. And I use 4 flouroscent tubes. 3350 lumens each so thats about 13 400 lumens

Another question from me then..

Is that enough? And Can I put the plants about 60 cm under the lights with that strength? Or do I have to put 2 more up?

Oh also, 3of them are 9inches away from the ground... is that enough or should it be closer?

Oh alright... maybe its just the way that one is... baby binatas already started turning red, and that one is just white. but still makes dew... maybe its adelae alba lol.
btw I just examined it close, and found that it sprouted 3 babies from the roots...

Oh, from the D. adelae? That plant constantly creates more of itself by spreading through the soil. They've pretty much taken over my classic terrarium
smile_n_32.gif

yes Im aware of that, thats why i planted it in the corner, so the others will have time to make their own colonies and not be overrun by the vicious lance carrying adelae!
smile.gif

thanks for the help again.

No problem man. I hope your Lance Leaf spreads like wildfire
cool.gif

Back