What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the best humidity device

well i have heard alot of disscussion about keeping humidity up, and i was wondering what the best way is.?
i have problems with a air cirrculation in the terrarium. if i had a fan blowing onto a tray of water, will that also keep humidity up and cirrculate the air?

first: what are you growing? keeping high humidity is only an issue for neps, heli's, a handful of Drosera and a handfull of Utrics require constant high humidity.

most Drosera, Utrics, VFT's, Sarrs and a handful of neps dont need high humidity. infact most can handlee humidity as low as 20%, ive even had Nepenthes x ventrata pitcher in that low, though most of my other neps are MUCH fussier.

however in a small aquarium type set up in order to keep the humidity up i would leav the top about 75% covered(this depends on where your at, more coverage if your in Pheonix, less on th gulf coast) and use an air pump designed for fish tanks and keep a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank with the air pump going to an air stone sitting in the water. the down side is that it wont work if you have to skip town for more than a day or so as it will evaporate the water fairly quick. or you could run it to a timer to kick on for 10 minuts every hour or something like that. prolly wont need a pump stronger than one designed for 10-15 gallon tanks. now i havent done this setup myself but there is no reason it wont work and have been thinking of using it for Heli's and epiphytic Utrics

rattler_mt, what purpose does the air pump serve, exactly?

it will put moisture in the air. the air stone bubbling in the water will increase the amount of water that gets airborn and will raise the humidity level, probably quite a bit even in an open topped aquarium.

My Setup: I have a small PC fan inside a 20gal long tank with the lights (80W cool white fluorescent tubes) over the cover. Within the tank, plants are in separate pots and there is live LFS between the pots--the LFS is kept constantly swampy. There is a digital temperature/humidity recorder in the corner.

Function: The lights heat up the terrarium which evaporates some of the water and the cover keeps the humidity from escaping. The PC fan circulates the air.

What I just described is an enclosed terrarium. Advantages include higher humidity (necessary for some CPs). Disadvantages include the potential for poor air circulation (increases fungal infections) and higher temperatures.

The alternative is an open terrarium where there is no cover or a partial cover. The pros and cons of this setup are vice-versa that of the enclosed terrarium.

Realize that most CPs do not require high humidity to do well; thus, an enclosed terrrarium is not necessary to keep most CPs healthy and unless you have a great enclosed setup, many will actually do better outside a terrarium. I grow my heliamphora, a few small nepenthes, and a few species of drosera in my terrarium--all my other CPs are on growracks.

Hope this answers your questions.

Back