What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Thread!

yeah seedjar those are your babies i believe. d.spatulata flowered nicely a week or so ago, 17 magenta flowers bloomed. i have buds coming up on d.burmanii and the capensis as u pointed out. thanks so much guys for all the help, glad u liked the pics.

Watch out buddy - now is the time to take action if you want to keep those things from taking over your terrarium. Make sure to gather the seeds when the pods start turning brown!
~Joe

oh no!! im going to be gone for 11 days starting now!! well.. i guess its time to let nature take its course... hahahah we'll see what happens. thanks for the advice though.:(

Well, it's safe to say that there will be more flowers; you could clip them before they go to seed. It's somewhat a matter of preference. On one hand, you can always pull up the seedlings as they come up if you don't want them. At the same time, if you let the tank get overrun then D. capensis will probably dominate them all... But that's a long way down the road. Just keep in mind, those plants are making seeds for survival... each stalk will produce way more than enough to carpet that tank of yours.
~Joe

PS - There's another good reason to harvest your seeds - you can trade/gift them to other growers.

In fact, I think my D. capensis 'Narrow' is also sending up a flower stalk. And I've only had it for a month! We'll just have to see what happens.

-Ben

This is all I got for pictures to share at the moment.  My crappy little 10g terrarium, and my bedroom closet greenhouse.  Some of my plants are already in my fridge for their winter nap.  Still in the process of modifying my greenhouse.  I am adding about 4 more light fixtures in that little closet.

Terrarium001.jpg

ClosetGreenhouse001.jpg

ClosetGreenhouse002.jpg

ClosetGreenhouse003.jpg

ClosetGreenhouse004.jpg

Cheers,
Ravn

smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOW thats to cool how you got the plants set up, one question where do you get trays with the plastic tops like that?? I would love to get a few of those..
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

Nice one Ravn! I have a lil' mini greenhouse like that and I'm trying to set it up indoors. I had considered side-mounted lights but I thought that distance would become an issue. I also worried that light exposure from the sides might cause etoliation or strange growth habits. How long have you had your plants in this setup? How are your lights mounted on the shelves? Thanks for sharing.
~Joe

I got the trays with the plastic tops from one of the garden nursuries just outside the city limits.  I have seen them almost everywhere during the summer months.

As for the lighting.  I have a twin bulb 4 foot light fixture hanging vertically on either side of the greenhouse.  They are actually hanging off of the closet rod above the whole thing.  There is a twin bulb 2 foot fixture that I mounted with tie straps to the underside of the shelves.  I have another 2 foot fixture for each shelf to install still so that there will be a total of 4 bulbs under each shelf.  The very top is also having 2 compact bulbs installed in a custom mount so that there will be more light centered overhead.

I have had this set up like this for about a year and a half now.  I keep rotating my plants if they start to lean to any one direction.  I think that once all of the extra lights are installed that will no longer be a problem.

The greenhouse stabalizes at around 30ºC during the day with 70% relative humidity and is around 21ºC with 90% humidity during the night.  Everything seems to be growing well in there except that I think they will really like the additional light.  I have a couple of computer fans installed on the bottom side of the bottom shelf that blow straight up at all times to that I can get air moving in there.  This way with the very high humidty I do not get fungus growth.  I find that I need to water more often but I would rather do that than have to contend with fungus.  The funny thing is that all of these lights run off of one power bar that is plugged into a timer.  I custom wired all of the lights so that there is only 2 plugs to plug in and then one plug for the fans.

I also lined the entire inside of the closet including the backside of the door with a reflective material so that I can try and utilize as much of the light at possible.  I am going to modify the lights though by adding some better reflective material behind them so that they are more intense as well.

I got a second one of these to build already, but I got no where to put it yet.  Oh well, guess I will have to clear out another closet and start modifying again!  
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Ravn

smile.gif
Thanks Ravn, is there anywhere at all i can order these trays with plastic tops on line??

If you type "seed trays with dome lids" or "seed tray humidity dome" into Google, you should get lots of results depending on where you live. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ravn

Thanks Ravn, on my way now gona find someplace thats got what im looking for and probably order me some after new yrs..
smile.gif

nothing to spectacular, but its growing slowly...
IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

I like your setup Peanuts! Definitely a good start
smile.gif

By the way, that ping and that D. adelae look like they were rescued from Home Depot. Am I right?
smile_n_32.gif

unfortunatly yes, they were from the box store

That's very cool. I rescue plants from Home Depot all the time. Keep up the rescue mission!

Back