What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another light question

Dimka

Sundewist
OK guys, I was wondering.
What would be better: ~8000 Lumens at 5000K   or ~11-12000 Lumens at 3000-3500K.
It for me ol' good 10g terrarium. Im thinking the one with 5000K, because I think 3000 is a bit too low for photosynthesis to be going all the way... not to mention it would cost 2 times less... So what do you guys think?
Please advise.

Oh also, now that we're at it.
Whats better? Daylight CFL or Warm White CFL or Soft White CFL (I know it the worst, but just wondering)?

This is just another example of light quantity versus quality.  Typically:

3000-3500K = warm white bulbs
5000-6000K = sunshine bulbs

Most people don't grow their plants solely under warm whites, and most would choose sunshine bulbs over warm whites.

That fact, combined with the fact that you will pay 2x less for the 5000K setup, makes me think that the 5000K (8000 lumen) setup is a better choice for you than the 3500K (11000 lumen) setup.  

You'll have slightly fewer lumens, but the quality is MUCH better and most importantly 2x CHEAPER!!!    
smile_n_32.gif

Once again a proof that a chloroplast filled with chlorophyl knows all about photosynthesis
smile.gif

Thanks a lot man.
Guess I'll have to get some bulbs in the morning
smile.gif

I'm planning to change the lighting for some of my plants, so I've talked to others (on and off this forum) and done some reading on this. Glad to be of help and good luck with your setup.
smile.gif

Hmmm I noticed daylight looks WAY yellower than soft white... is this normal or am I having halusinations?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dimka @ Dec. 15 2005,6:58)]Hmmm I noticed daylight looks WAY yellower than soft white... is this normal or am I having halusinations?
Daylight bulbs should produce a bluey-whitish color which should look like a light blue. What is the spectrum?

Well, they rather look white... the soft whites are just BLUE in comparison... its pretty strange I must say... I bought 1 day light bulb 32W/1920 Lumens (or so it says) 5000K... thing is the rest of the soft whites with 3000+ lumens of them look just dim in comparison... this daylight bulb gives more light than 2 40W soft whites... if not 3 of them. if that bulb had 1920 lumens i'm a decendant of an ape...
I also noticed that the dew finally started to appear and STAY on the leaves after I started using the daylight... also the leaves of the dew turned a bit, toward that bulb... so I guess they are enjoying it. I'll try to get my dad to get me to home depot and get a couple more... 6500K ones though.
Just two things - it generates WAY more heat (but I installed a mini fan inside my light fixture monster, so i guess it'll be ok), and the tenticles on dews went white... lol yeah kinky stuff
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dimka @ Dec. 16 2005,4:43)]Well, they rather look white... the soft whites are just BLUE in comparison... its pretty strange I must say... I bought 1 day light bulb 32W/1920 Lumens (or so it says) 5000K... thing is the rest of the soft whites with 3000+ lumens of them look just dim in comparison... this daylight bulb gives more light than 2 40W soft whites... if not 3 of them. if that bulb had 1920 lumens i'm a decendant of an ape...
I also noticed that the dew finally started to appear and STAY on the leaves after I started using the daylight... also the leaves of the dew turned a bit, toward that bulb... so I guess they are enjoying it. I'll try to get my dad to get me to home depot and get a couple more... 6500K ones though.
Just two things - it generates WAY more heat (but I installed a mini fan inside my light fixture monster, so i guess it'll be ok), and the tenticles on dews went white... lol yeah kinky stuff
smile_h_32.gif
5000K spectrum bulbs generally appear to give off more light compared to soft white, but it is really an illusion of the human eye. As for the sundes tentacles turning white, I think this is probably because of all the heat from your compact fluorescents. I use 2 42watt compact fluorescent in my 10 gallon terrarium, and they grow really well and are very dewy. The temp is normally around 75-80F during the day. You might want to try something like this and get 2 55watt compact fluorescents bulbs from the below web sites. This is what I use for my 10 gallon terrariums.
Grow hood.
http://www.petsmart.com/global....1144484

55 watt 5000K spectrum compact fluorescent bulbs.
http://www.topbulb.com/find....E_49800

Hope this helps.

Thanks... I'll try something out

Back