What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reccomended light?

would you reccomend this light for a 10 gallon terrarium?
here
compact flouresent
120 Volts
85 Watts
lumens-5440
color temp-5540
if you do not recomend this, what else would subtitute.? thanks

That's a whole lot of light, and I'd venture to say that you don't really need that much. I have several 10 gallon tanks that all have different wattages: 103, 80, and 61. I've yet to see a huge difference in the plants between tanks, so I say you won't need that large of a bulb.

Go to Home Depot, pick up a couple 23 watt warm white light compact flourescents (I think they're roughly 8 bucks a piece) and a couple of clamp fixtures (5 bucks a piece) and you should be set.

However, if you really want to use that bulb, I'm sure it would work just fine. You just don't NEED it for a 10 gallon.

Uhh, thats serious overkill for a 10gal. I say two 25-30w CF from Lowes or Home depot will work just fine for anything you stick in there.

-Rail

Actually, my plants grow bigger, faster, more colorful, and rarely get mold or fungus when I use higher powered. Each of my 10 gallon terrariums have humidity of 85-90%, nothing to circulate the air, and all of my plants grow extremely well under my growlight, which produces about 9,000 lumens. I have found out the hard way that the more light you use to grow your cp, the smaller the chance is of them getting  fungus, or mold. The lower the light levels, the higher the chance of fungus or mold attacking them. The more light they get, the higher their "immune" systems are. Also, lower light levels will result in etiolation,which is where the plant or plants start growing on a tall,weak stem to reach the source of light. The light you posted a link for will work well for a 10g terrarium.
dewy

You make an interesting point Dewy. I've definitely found this to be true, as well. It seems that the plants I have that are under more light seem to be "tougher" in a sense, with richer coloration and a stronger look to them. However, I also have plants growing in lower light conditions that are just as healthy. For me, it seems that the more air circulation I give my plants, the better they do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The more light they get, the higher their "immune" systems are.

I would agree that adequate lighting produces healthy plants that are more resistant to pathogens. Though there's probably a plateau after which increasingly higher light quantity provides little or no additional benefit.

Back