What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My tanks

schloaty

Staff member
My large highland tank:
100_1462.jpg

Smaller highland tank:
100_1460.jpg

intermediate tank:
100_1456.jpg

Lowland tank:
100_1457.jpg

recent addtion to the lowland tank (new pitcher, I mean, not new plant):
100_1458.jpg

Looking good. Must be nice to have so many tanks. That way you can have a more broad mix of plants. I am working on a big 75 gallon tank and it will be for more lowland plants. I think that I may turn my small tank into a highland though. Keep up the good work because I would say by the looks of that new pitcher you got things really under control.

Cheers,
Ravn

Nice looking tanks. What is the identity of the Nepenthes in the far right in the intermediate tank? It looks like a nice compact grower.

Thanks,
Brian

smile.gif
WOW schloaty, awsome setups and your plants look sooooooooo nice..

schloaty, where did you get the lights thats over the Lowland tank??
Great pics and thanks tons for sharring with us...
smile_m_32.gif
smilie4.gif

Brian, that's N. gymnaphora (sp?). It is a very satifactory grower. Only had it about 5 months now, but it's been a real trooper.

Barracuda, those are fluorex 65 watt high output fluorescent floodlights. They're actually over all of my tanks, though the large highland tank has a nice looking twin tube 4' aquarium fixture in front of them for some style.
smile.gif

They cost anywhere from $10 to $35 a piece depending on where you find them. I think Wallmart has them for about $11.

Very nice terraria/plants! I like (what appears to be) the juvenile drosophyllum.

Man, what a great setup Schloaty! I agree with Chloroplast: That's a cute little Drosophyllum in the subsrate, or is it a Rainbow Plant?

The plants must be getting a lot of light. I hear those flourexes produce alot of light, 'equivalent' to 500W watts.

So Dave what are you using to cool your highland/intermediate tanks? Also have a gymnaphora but it isn't looking too well...

Very nice tanks!
smile.gif

Like Jason, I am also interested in finding out how you cool the tanks. The reason being that if there is a way to do that, I may actually just get the chance to grow highland plants successfully here in Singapore! Or do the tanks simply rely on the natural conditions in your area, with the main purpose of keeping the humidity in?

Great looking plants, Schloaty!  You obviously are doing a great job managing your setups. (I depend on the sun, so on these short, dark days, I really envy your controlled light environment.)

Thanks for sharing,
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Jan. 13 2006,11:27)]Brian, that's N. gymnaphora (sp?).  It is a very satifactory grower.  Only had it about 5 months now, but it's been a real trooper.

Barracuda, those are fluorex 65 watt high output fluorescent floodlights.  They're actually over all of my tanks, though the large highland tank has a nice looking twin tube 4' aquarium fixture in front of them for some style.
smile.gif

They cost anywhere from $10 to $35 a piece depending on where you find them.  I think Wallmart has them for about $11.
smile.gif
Thanks schloaty, i will be sure to check out and look for these lights, whats the lenght and width of them??

Hey guys,
The "Drosophyllum" in the substrate (LFS, BTW) is actually just grass! (they do look a little alike from a distance), unless you're referring to the intermediate tank, in which case it's a D. regia (also similar looking from a distance).
The tanks don't receive any special heating or cooling measures - They simply attain room temperature durring the night ( the highlanders in a noticeably cooler room) and a little over room temp durring the days (due to the lights).  This is actually a problem as my lowlanders don't really get much warmer than low 70's during the day.  I am going to have to invest in a seedling heat mat.
The dimensions of the lights are (ballpark) 6" x 12".

Glad you like 'em!
smile.gif

nice man. how does one get temps low in a terrarium without heating it from lights?? i would like to know

In my planted tank, I use a 4" fan at the top which is switched on for 24 hours. That usually gets the temp down to 25 deg Celcius.

My hall temperature is between 28-29 deg and can go down to 26 during rainy season. There's a forest in the vicinity of where I live so that may be the reason why temperatures can be cool during rainy seasons.

I'm planning to set up a tank/terrarium and will need to use a fan just to create some air movement.

Pauline.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The "Drosophyllum" in the substrate (LFS, BTW) is actually just grass! (they do look a little alike from a distance), unless you're referring to the intermediate tank, in which case it's a D. regia (also similar looking from a distance).

Dang, fooled me! That would be really cool though if you had a plant growing in the bottom...I say plant one!
biggrin.gif

I just want to say nice plants/tanks again Schloaty
smile.gif

Hey, where'd you get that pinkish ping in the intermediate tank? I love the look of it.

what ping you grow in terrarium....., i love pings, and terrariums too XD, my climate outside is crazy, very hot in day very cold in winter and in summer we get 40 celcius some time, last summer i lost 7 common but cool plants, thats why i prefer a terrarium, but im making a good green house, for a bog garden XD, tell wich pings they are and the humidyty in lowland tank please.

Very nice setup schloaty!

Right now im fixing up my 3 gallon tank, and it seems to be quite similar to yours. My question is, how do you add air circulation to the tanks? There is a 2 inch gap in my tank and I was wondering if it's enough. I'm pretty worried about this as I heard that air circulation is important!

thanks

Back