What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24hr light?

i was wondering if you could keep the lights on for 24 hours or more? would that be bad for your plants?

Which plants in particular?

well D. adelae, D. capensis, D. spatulata, N. rafflesiana.

well D. adelae, D. capensis, D. spatulata, N. rafflesiana, mexican ping, N. ventrata

The only thing you can do is experiment with one and see how it goes with the plant. I know with sarrs you can leave the lights on, but the rest, I don't know.

I know that at night the plants open their stomata and take in air and stuff. But, I would assume that eventually, if they're given 24 hours of light all the time, they would tire out because of all the photo-synthesizing.

-Ben

Spot on Ben. Most plants need a rest period from photosynthesizing for gas exchange.

Zac

I don't know about the Droseras, but I've had 3 N. rafflesiana, 1 N. x 'Judith Finn' growing under 24hr light for a year in my office at work. They seem to love it, and are growing fairly quickly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Spot on Ben. Most plants need a rest period from photosynthesizing for gas exchange.

Mmm, I don't think it should be a problem (at least not for this reason). Many plants have their stomata open during the day while they photosynthesize (including all of the plants named, as far as I know.)

ZAK has been growing them for a year this way, if the plants had their stomata closed, there'd be little alternative for gas exchange (some in the roots) but soon oxygen would enter the calvin-benson cycle, photorespiration would occur, and after a short while the plant would be done for.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i was wondering if you could keep the lights on for 24 hours or more? would that be bad for your plants?

I'm still wondering how you could have your lights on for MORE than 24 hours a day.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Jan. 23 2006,6:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Spot on Ben. Most plants need a rest period from photosynthesizing for gas exchange.

Mmm, I don't think it should be a problem (at least not for this reason). Many plants have their stomata open during the day while they photosynthesize (including all of the plants named, as far as I know.)

ZAK has been growing them for a year this way, if the plants had their stomata closed, there'd be little alternative for gas exchange (some in the roots) but soon oxygen would enter the calvin-benson cycle, photorespiration would occur, and after a short while the plant would be done for.
Yes, of course. But some plants such as cacti and succulents keep their stomata closed tight during the hot, dry hours of the day, and then open them at night. This is so none of their water evaporates out of them. Though, I'm not at all sure about cps, though I would assume that plants, just as people and every other multi-cellular organism, tend to need a resting period. Plants didn't evolve to live in environments with sunshine always coming down on them. I would assume that they're slowly wearing themselves down. If what I say is not the case, then they will most likely be more susceptible to disease since they have no time to rest up.

-Ben

Ben, with sarracenia, it has never been a problem After 1 full year under lights, 24/7, 365 days a year, my sarracenia are 1 foot or taller, mature faster, and have never seemed to suffer from this treatment. I have never tried it on drosera or dionaea, but I have just put some under lights just to see how they fare. I am watching them closely.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, of course. But some plants such as cacti and succulents keep their stomata closed tight during the hot, dry hours of the day, and then open them at night. This is so none of their water evaporates out of them. Though, I'm not at all sure about cps, though I would assume that plants, just as people and every other multi-cellular organism, tend to need a resting period. Plants didn't evolve to live in environments with sunshine always coming down on them. I would assume that they're slowly wearing themselves down. If what I say is not the case, then they will most likely be more susceptible to disease since they have no time to rest up.

That's C4 (+ CAM) photosynthesis. Plants which are used to being in dry, hot climates may use C4 or CAM photosynthesis, that's very true. Though, look at the climate of CPs... Furthermore, there is a physiological response during the day where many plants halt photosynthesis.

So, long story short: we've got no reason to believe that the CPs listed are using C4/CAM photosynthesis, and as we now have two (Bugweed and Zak) instances of people doing it with no noted ill effects, I'll say "go for it" until we get some specific evidence pointing in the opposite direction.

Note that dormancy requirements should probably still be respected.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm still wondering how you could have your lights on for MORE than 24 hours a day.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

LOL Maybe he means for more than 24 hours at a time??

Oh, and Bug, you'll have to let us know the results of your Dionaea and Drosera tests.
smile.gif

I have grown Dionaea, D. adelae, and S. rubra in my office before. But they were bought in Dec., and planted outside in spring. So they only encounterd 3 Mo. of constant light.The light I use in my office will not come back on automaticly when used with a timer so I was kinda forced to leave it on. This is how my "experiment" came to pass. My N.x'Judith Finn' is going on two years now. and thought it's not very tall it has sprouted two growth points. I should mention it was a seedling whin I foud it at Krogers, planted with a D. Spatualata, and VFT, IN A 3" POT. The pitchers average about 5"to 7". Not really a Nep, expert so I'm not really sure how quickly these plants mature. I tend to stick to VFT, Sarrs, and droseras.

Back