What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

terrarium humidity

hi all,

i am having trouble keeping the humidity in my tank high,
the humidity never reaches above 60% and i have to keep the lid sealed at all times for it to reach that (therefore i have had trouble with mold.) in the tank i keep highland nepenthes. what can i do to make the humidity higher? please help
Blue_paul

Humidity isn't always that nessecary with cps. 40-60% is just fine for a terrarium, and some people have grown cps on windowsills with just 15-20% humidity. EDIT: Whoops, I saw that you were growing highland neps in there. Never mind.

-Ben

will a nutrient heater boost the humidity in my tank? (if put in water?)

blue_paul

any one?

help is needed quickly plz!!

blue_paul

You need airflow in your tank.

I use a Tropicaire Humidifier & Air Exchanger to keep the humidity up and circulate the air.
I have a 2" opening the complete length of my terrarium lid. My humidity does fall to the low 50% during the day and climbs back up at night to mid 70% range. I do not grow any neps in the terrarium though.
What is your house humidity normally like? I have had success growing some neps as windowsill plants in lower humidity.

Jimscott remarked about how "humidity was so overrated" and I must agree. I first placed a plastic clear Coke bottle around my plant in an attempt to preserve and encourage humidity but it could cause an "oven" problem or encourage mold.

I took the lid off and just in a SINGLE DAY I see traps opening!

True for VFTs and many of the CPs we grow Caro, but some Nepenthes, in this case highland (read mountain) Nepenthes are real picky about humidity.

Bucket of water with an aquarium heater in it?

thanks all,

how larger area will an exo terra fogger cover?

blue_paul

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Feb. 11 2006,7:19)]You need airflow in your tank.

I use a Tropicaire Humidifier & Air Exchanger to keep the humidity up and circulate the air.
I have a 2" opening the complete length of my terrarium lid. My humidity does fall to the low 50% during the day and climbs back up at night to mid 70% range. I do not grow any neps in the terrarium though.
What is your house humidity normally like? I have had success growing some neps as windowsill plants in lower humidity.
does this exchange the air very well? do you put this in the middle of the tank, or what?

what do people use to heat the terrariums or is the light giving all the needed heat?

blue_paul

Back