What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

instaling a bog!!

Hilla!!!!!!! im tinking in install a bog garden...Will u all help me?, remember im a noob =), ok, temps: winter lower 14°F, higer 58°F, spring lower 50°F, higer 77°F, summer lower 75°F, higer 104°F, fall lower 42°F, higer 64°F just aproximate it low max from 5°F to 10°F at nights, so what i gotta do? ? ? ? Waiting for ya help!  
smile_m_32.gif

smile_o_32.gif

smile.gif

smile_n_32.gif
 XDDDDD

I forgot, i wanna put it in a green house i make, is covered w half white crystaline policarbonate lamines, and half crystaline polycarbonate lamines, it gets hot.....but im instaling a mist maker big very big and 2 fans on the roof for this summer =), they light is good there some coleus get very colored, and some red tomatos too XDD i usually dont eat them but they llok hot red!, i have many comon plants there they do it fine, cacti does not semm to need more light, i hope this info help.

Hey IMWindPlant.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but I am curious: Is your native language not english?

If you're setting up a greenhouse, I wouldn't put in a bog garden, not the underground type. I'd stick with 5 or 10 gallon pots.

With your winter temps, I'd definitely sink any bog garden I make into the ground, so it is insulated, and mulch it well in winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 26 2006,5:00)]Hey IMWindPlant.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but I am curious:  Is your native language not english?
Profile says his name is Jose and he's from Mexico. I'm gonna go with Spanish on this one.  
smile_m_32.gif

Could be worse... it could be me on a French forum, trying to get by on the memory of my 7->10th grade French.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Why I took French....
smile_l_32.gif

Ummm, im confused. Ok yeah im from mexico, hehehe
smile_m_32.gif
, So i best use big pots, um ok, what plants can i have in this crazy part of the world?

What is your winter like? I know you are closer to the Eqautor, but if I'm not mistaken, Mexico City itself is in an elevated area and the temps are much cooler than the rest of Central America.

the winter is carzy, no snow only ice.....Cold as a frezer!, but hot all days in mid day, some winters just get all frozt two or three weeks and later all get good, summer is more hard, it gets HOT, i lost 4 plants last summer, im instaling some fans a buig mist maker to reduce hot.

American pitcher plants, VFT's, D. intermedia, binata, filiformis, rotundifolia are good starter plants.

kEWL!, Im buying some American pitcher plants (sarracenias right?), maybe VFT later more in spring cuz one i have out of terrarium still sleepeing, it beggin to grow cuz its reciving light from the terrarium, but look like it stil sleeping, I love have a binata!!!! im getting one!
smile_m_32.gif
, thanks i tell us whats up!

You should also be fine putting in an outdoor bog. Just make sure to put it in an area where it will get some partial shade, water it when it is drying and mist it daily.

And let's not forget the indomitable cobra lily!

I'd suggest some P. moranesis or similar hybrids. As long as they are kept dry in the winter, I've heard they are surprisingly hardy. They may need some protection, though.

cobras are cool, but arent they delicate?, hey i got a idea what happen if i cover them w plastic?, maybe they will maintain a good temperature in winter...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ImWindPlant @ Mar. 01 2006,11:19)]cobras are cool, but arent they delicate?, hey i got a idea what happen if i cover them w plastic?, maybe they will maintain a good temperature in winter...
With jimscott the are delicate
smile_n_32.gif
They can handle pretty cold temperatures from what I understand, so if you put some mulch around them in winter, they should be fine.
dewy

oh ok, i will buy one to c whats up, i love to have ping in terrarium to whatch them, but well i put ones in the bog pot XD, i will love to put a bog, cuz inside the green house i have a fountain and some night lights, i mean is like a garden but a litle protected...from cats (i cant grab a shootgun like sarracenia says before),dogs (they are from the famyly!), and temperature, (i cant atack the weather!!!!!!!

Hey here are some stuff i get, a guy can sell me sarracenia: Farhamii or Farhamani?, Catesbaie, Purpurea, Drosera: Binata, Capensis, Aliciae, and various pings, should i get primulifolia, moranensis, agnata, and/or wich others?
smile_n_32.gif

That sounds good. Some intermedia and rotundifolia would work as well. I can send you seed.

Really!!, to mexico?, oh it it would be great!!!!!!!!!, Just tell me how!!!
smile.gif

Jose, toss the word minibog into the Search function at the top of the page and click Older for the timeframe. There's a bunch of great topics and pictures from before.

Back