What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I've decided to grow CP's outdoors again

cprus

BANNED
After much consideration and planning, I've decided to move my bog outdoors. Only two years ago the devistating sun destroyed all too much inside my greenhouse. So today I've started building on top of the backyard BBQ grill area. We never use it anyway. This way its higher up so my sister's dogs won't run through my drosera again (true story) and the shade cloth will keep things out, like little squrrels, which are so cute but annoying as hell. The top will be covered with polyfilm and the sides shade cloth. The "open-ess" of the structure will keep the sun on the plants for full color and growth but keep excess heat out (squirrels too). I'm planning a temperate setting with sarrs, vft's, drosera, and others I'll get later. Hardy tropicals are ok but I'll just have to mist often. I should have this done within the next few days.

Quick question though: humidity isn't really a big deal right now since the plants can handle some low humidity but I keep getting the feeling its still too cold. San Jose CA weather right now is around 65F days with great sun but only 48F nights. Maybe a bit too chilly to go out yet?

Not too chilly at all! I'm planning on taking my buckets of minibog plants (same as yours) outside next week, while temps range from 30's to 50's. They've been in the attic all winter long.

Dont even waste your time with the greenhouse. Sars, VFTs, and most drosera thrive here in SJ. I keep all my temperate plants outdoors here full time and they love it. The humidity does not bother them and the temperatures are just about perfect. Now is the best time to just plunk them out in the yard in full sun and let them do their thing.

The only problem I have ever had with my outdoor plants, aside from aphids, is forgetting to water them. It is so dry here that the water trays can go from full to empty in 1 afternoon and by the end of the next day your soil can be as dry as a martini at happy hour.

Good luck
Steve

Edit: I should add that my yard gets full sun starting at sunrise and is completely shaded by my house by 3-4 PM. That late afternoon sun is what does the most damage to the plants.

Ok I've finished the chamber. The walls are all made of shade cloth and the roof is polyfilm. Its not a greenhouse since it keeps the temperature and humidity the same as the environment, I just need it to keep critters out of my stuff. I'm planning to put my bog garden out tomorrow morning and I'm also going to be adding some shelves and water trays to keep humidity up. Thanks vft guy and jimscott for making me get over my fears, I've been abused by outside growing before and I'm hoping this time I can control the sun better.

Back