What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nestle Ice cream freezer

We got an old nestle ice cream freezer that was going to be tossed. I was thinking, is it possible to turn it into some kind of greenhouse like thing? It's about 4-5ft long and 3ft or so deep with glass sliding doors on top. Would it work outside or would it get too hot in there?

is it like one of those things with the sliding doors? if so you can turn it in to an ultra highland case. contact jerimiah harris for the info on how to make it

I don't believe I have any ultra-highland Neps. Would regular neps grow particually well in this? I just fear that between the heat and the sun shooting through the glass doors it will just cook them.

Just use Grow Lights and build some kind of climate control for it.

Cheers

A metal box with closed glass doors placed outside in the summer will roast your plants. Even if you opened the doors it would probably still get too hot for them.

Putting it outside is a sure way to break the refrigeration system, too, if you had planned on using that. If you kept it inside and pumped cool air in at night, it would make an excellend highland tank. Or you could heat it all the time and use it for lowlanders. Swords' Nepenthes House has some good articles on building terraria. Nep University also has some interesting articles but I find their approach to be a bit more spendy and space-consuming than Swords', which seems slanted more at the hobbyist/do-it-yourself-er.
Best luck, and please keep us informed.
~Joe

Back