What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of bulb?

So, I have decided that i am going to use some type of HID system for my terrarium. It is big, 4ft x 3ft x 2.5ft, and is lit with fluoros. I figured that a 250watt bulb should be enough light, but I was wondering which type of bulb to get- MH or HPS? Metal halide was my first choice since it is best for vegetative growth, although HPS bulbs last long and you get more lumens per watt(I think). Any opinions?Thanks,
David

I'm not up-to-date on which systems are better for what, as I gave up on the expensive rigs a while ago. :) But, have you considered high-output fluorescents, such as T5s? I believe I've read claims that they rival HID systems and at lower operating costs to boot.
~Joe

You should consider the heat output of MH and HPS lights which is much higher than that of fluorescent tubes. You should be especially concerned if your terrarium is covered, because extra lighting won't help cooked plants.

I wouldn't let the temp inside the terrarium climb above 95F during the day (and it should be cooler than that for some CPs). You may consider keeping the lid partially open and/or running a fan across the lights to help reduce temperature.

Good luck.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (123dhs @ April 30 2006,11:48)]So, I have decided  that i am going to use some type of HID system for my terrarium. It is big, 4ft x 3ft x 2.5ft, and is lit with fluoros. I figured that a 250watt bulb should be enough light, but I was wondering which type of bulb to get- MH or HPS? Metal halide was my first choice since it is best for vegetative growth, although HPS bulbs last long and you get more lumens per watt(I think). Any opinions?Thanks,
David
I use these for my 2 10gal. terrariums. Two of these would be more than enouh for your terrarium, and they don't produce alot of heat.
dewy

Back