What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Garden Plan

Goofzilla

I'm Stratified
Hello,

I've been thinking of creating a small mini-bog garden for a sunny location in my yard. I like the concept of being able to have several plants fit in a conatiner, and not having seperate trays, or trays at all, for that matter.

Anyway, firstly, would this container work for a bog garden? Also, would it be wise to drill a small hole on 2 of the sides, in case of waterlogging, and prevention?

eed934ac.jpg

I was planning to put in a thin layer of LFS, and then peat/sand, then another thin layer of LFS at the top- this would be sufficient, correct?

Also, how often is it needed to water a container like this? I was planning on ever few days.

Thanks for your help!

ur container seems perfect! you dont need to put holes on the bottom if you put a layer of rocks/gravel/pebbles(washed off of course) on the bottom. bottom layer of LFS-ok...peat sand mix-ok...then top layer-optional. the rocks on the bottom solves your problem for watering...once the visible water level(see in the rocks) then fill it. plant i would suggest in this(although you may have thought thid out already) would be american pitcher plants, VFTs, and some temperate drosera(rotundifolia, filiformis, intermedia etc). then during winter just plop it in a fridge!
good luck
alex

There are a variety of approaches one can use. Personally, I like the idea of using plastic buckets, with a handle. this way I can transport them to the attic for winter dormancy or out of the way for safety. Some people use kiddie pools and poke a few drainage holes. I think providing drainage is important.

Awhile back I asked about poking holes in my buckets and the replies weremixed. Some don't poke holes. Some do so at the top and others at the bottom. I ended up doing it at both top and bottom.

I mix sand and peat and then add LFS on top. I think that it best mimcs nature. Perlite will migrate to the top, over time, and defeats the purpose of making the media more airy.

Rain will take care of the watering, most of the time. I also have plastic trash barrels staged to collect rain, so I have a steady source when we go several days without.

Not the best picture, but here's a recent pic:

Strausplants0191.jpg

Thanks, guys.

I have decided to use a more heavy-duty tub for the mini-bog. I was planning to put a layer of LFS on the bottom, then a thick layer of peat/sand, and then another layer of LFS at the top.

Would this work? I was also planning to drill a hole or two on the under-side for draining.

Also perhaps a on two of the upper-half sides.

Would this work ? I'd have to over-head water it every few days.

Photo:

eed5450f.jpg

Thanks so much!

Back