What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Need A Greenhouse

Hello, about a year or two ago I began growing my carnivorous plants in a terrarium but now that my terrarium is full I would like to have a greenhouse where I can keep my plants.

If anyone can think of a descent greenhouse to buy please tell me! Only one catch though! Since I'm only 16 i dont bring in much money and am looking for one that is around $100 - $200 that is descent! Thanks!!

You can try looking in the classified section of your local paper. Sometimes people will be basically giving away a greenhouse if you take it apart and haul it away.

THanks I Just Checked that and all over the internet but no deal!

Where in CA are you? What plants are you primarily growing? Maybe you don't need a greenhouse at all??

If you are on a budget then your best bet would be a DIY project out of wood or pvc pipe or something. I think you will find though that while it is not terribly expensive to build a small greenhouse structure and cover it with plastic, the equipment needed to monitor and control the temperature and humidity are expensive. Skimping on this aspect of the project usually just leads to disaster for the plants when the greenhouse freezes/roasts.

There are a number of CA growers that simply grow their plants outdoors all year with minimal setups.

Tony

Yes I agree with Tony. I thought I was going to get away with building a GH for 300 bucks. Boy was I wrong. The plastic alone to cover a GH is around 120 bucks for a 12 x 12 GH. The cheap plastic you buy at Lowe's or HD will only last you about 6 months. I put it up before winter, and by the end of summer it is all deteriorated. I have two heaters, granted they only cost me 17 apiece, but you have to think about the electricity they are pulling, and the systems to run them. I have 2 home made thermostat controllers my grandfather built me, but to buy them outright they are about 80 buck a piece. I managed to get some fans for free. The main exhaust fan is a squirrel cage fan that came out of the old furnace in the house. You may be able to get by with buying one for only 200, but you will have to constantly be monitoring it for temp and humidity. Good luck

well right now i am growing a sweet pitcher sarracenia, a dente VFT and a wide mouth VFT outside

Also I am growing about 6 drosera, 1 ping, and one utri inside in a terrarium.

Ii was interested in starting to grow some nepenthes because they look really cool and would be cool to show off
biggrin.gif

Thanks
Anthony

Hellz, Neps are cool, but they are not objects to "show off". Some of the finest plants on the planet are the Nepenthes. I WILL NOT grow them myself because they need more exacting conditions than my sarracenia, VFT, drosera, or pings. For that reason, and the fact a greenhouse would break my bank, are the only reasons I do not have them. I love neps, but at present, I will have to love them in SOMEONE ELSE'S collection. Pete D'Amato has a really gorgeous n. mastersiana in his collection. I hope Wicked Thistle got to see it.

Bug, im growing some beautiful Neps indoors but i cant seem to grow a VFT to save my life. all crash after about 7 or 8 months of excellent growth. im begining to think i can grow any difficult species but give me the easy species such as VFT's, D. adelae, P. primifolia and they keel over in record time

try OverStock.com. They have one which i think is 139 but it is kinds cheap. Thick Clear plastic as ceiling and wals and a feew stands for the inside. No mounting for security either. If shaded it might be okay and somehow mount it to ground via stakes it migh last a few years. Wind could tear it. Just a few thought on it but for a kid of 16 it might be okay for a while till college or a part time job. Just a thought Good luck

:eek:)

Back