What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange plants growing in Terrarium

Hello All!!

I have some strange critters growing in my VFT terrarium.  They are starting to become a nuisance.  See pic My Webpage

Anyone know what these are? They are about 1/4 to 1/2" high and look like pine tree limbs.

Thanks!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

it looks like Spahgnum Moss to me!

yeah it does look like living Spahgnum

No, that's not sphagnum. It's some other carpet moss, similar to what infests my collection so pervasively that I simply concede defeat. You can try plucking it out, but good luck. Repot every year or so and don't worry about it.

Capslock

I agree with Capslock. The only big issue is it can overun some utrics and small sundews.

Not sphagnum... very common in CP collections... doesn't seem to be a problem. I just pluck them out.

I say leave it, a nice green carpet over the soil looks better than just wet peat.

I had some of this stuff get in a pot of nidiformis and it went RAMPANT until it was completely covered, but it actually doesn't look too bad and the nidiformis doesn't seem to mind.

nidweed.jpg

Wow, I love the look of a pot full of moss like that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ June 11 2006,10:33)]Wow, I love the look of a pot full of moss like that.
I can get it for ya wholesale!

Can somebody confirm that this moss doesn't harm our precious cp's? I admit, they do look nice. But I pluck em whenever I see em. It's a chore.

I've only been taking this hobby seriously for 3 years now, so I am far from being an expert. It shows up in most pots and trades, no matter how much I rinse my media. To my perception, and I pluck it out when it becomes thick enough to do so, it hasn't caused any problems.

It looks like a club-moss to me. Lycopodiella sp.
Should be harmless.

Harmless, but can smother tiny Drosera seedlings and the like.

my D. rotundifolia grows out of a carpet of that stuff and doesn't seem to care either.

rotdunfolia isnt that small though.. I think he speaks more of the pygmy sundews, and the smaller sundews.
Cheers

The problem I have had with this moss is it forms a dense fibrouse layer up to an inch thick. It's difficult for Utricualria and seedlings to grow through the mat. Larger plants aren't bothered by it (eg. Sarracenia, established VFTs). Pings did ok fending for themselves once they were a couple inches across 'cause their leaves shade out the moss under them. Small sundews and the like though got squeezed out.

Back