What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sooty mold?

Hi everyone,

I've found these in both my outdoor and indoor collections, but mostly indoor. There is this invasion of black, slimy what I can only guess is mold on top of my sphagnum dressing. Closer inspection shows that it's made of very very tiny spherical clusters that resembles very fine caviar. When I dab some on my fingers and rub them, it smells sickenly sweet. Are these harmful and what can I do to get rid of it?
Thanks a lot.

Johnny

Sounds like slime mold. Never had that so don't know what it can or can't do, but if it is a valuable member in your collection, you might want to repot it into clean mix to be on the safer side of it. If not, then let it be and observe it. Slime mold is hard to find and pretty interesting!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 24 2006,2:35)]Sounds like slime mold. Never had that so don't know what it can or can't do, but if it is a valuable member in your collection, you might want to repot it into clean mix to be on the safer side of it. If not, then let it be and observe it. Slime mold is hard to find and pretty interesting!
Slime molds are, AFAIK, pretty harmless to plants. They eat algae and other detritus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Slime mold is hard to find and pretty interesting!

I second that! I had a talk about them with my hort teacher a while back. Pretty neet stuff.

They seem to be harmless enough, at least compared to most other stuff that can get into your collection.

Just be careful with your utrics and pygmy dews....they can be smothered by it, and the slime mold seems to slow the emergence of new utric lolons and sundew divisions.

Back