What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

storing soil mix?

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
I over-estimated the amount of soil mixture I needed to repot a ping.  Can I store this damp peat-perlite mixture in, say, a ziploc bag for later?  should I let it dry out first, or spray it with fungicide, or anything like that?

If you plan on using some more later, I'd say put it in a bag and store it in a dark place. Use a fungicide first though. If you're not ging to use it again. Let it dry out, I don't see any harm in it.

I'll let it dry out then, thanks!

I would suggest you put it into a pot you plan to use in the future and leave it outside where the rain will gently percolate through it until that time. The addition of fungicide is not a good idea. Adding anything not needed to CP mix is not a good idea. We try to take as much *out* of the mix as possible, namely the mineral salts that encourage and support algae and moss growth. The rain will help with that, but be sure it is off the ground where worms cant get to it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 05 2006,4:56)]We try to take as much *out* of the mix as possible, namely the mineral salts that encourage and support algae and moss growth.  The rain will help with that, but be sure it is off the ground where worms cant get to it.
I recently began rinsing soil media, like peat and sand in hanging baskets. This allows the water to drain through, while keeping the media in the basket. I think one could apply what Tamlin wrote, about allowing rainwater to continuously cleanse the media and hanging the basket will keep the media off the ground, preventing worms to get into it.

I always dry and store left-over mix, unless there's space for it in another pot. But I don't use peat mixes. That stuff's so awful that sitting out in the weather probably does improve it, by allowing some soil structure to develop.

hmmmm...
I don't see myself using it anytime in the near future.  so if I stuck it in a pot outside, it would be sitting there for months, maybe a year or more

maybe I should just toss it?  it's only a couple of handfulls' worth.  just seems like a waste!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ July 05 2006,9:38)]hmmmm...
I don't see myself using it anytime in the near future. so if I stuck it in a pot outside, it would be sitting there for months, maybe a year or more
That's just about right. Hang on to the soil. You never know when you might need it. If you stick it in a small pot outside to be rinsed by the rain, it will be ready whenever you need it. Waste not, want not.

alright, I'm convinced!
smile.gif
outside it goes!

But remember: for non-cp soils that have slow-release fertilizer in them keep them DRY. Otherwise the soil at the bottom will become highly mineralized and will kill just about anything you plant in there.

But since we're talkin' CP substrate here, then I'll be the twentieth person to agree with the "pot it and let nature take its course" method. Good growing!

Back