What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yesterday I went outside and took a couple of pictures of my tiny tiny tiny bog in the morning and the afternoon. It cost me $15-ish to make (not including the plants)
It has kept many plants in zone 6-7 (im in the middle of the border) alive and healthy.

entire garden

000_1159-2.jpg

d. madagascariensis- ty jimscott

000_1149-1.jpg

p. vulgaris and grandifolia

000_0977.jpg

sarracenia flowers

000_0976.jpg

000_0969.jpg

s. purpurea

000_0964.jpg

D. rutundefolia

000_1147.jpg

S. Leucophyllia next to s. leuocophyllia tarnok

000_1146.jpg

000_1144.jpg

S. Rubra var Rubra

000_1143.jpg

Dionae muscipula var :

dente

000_1140.jpg

big mouth

38fed808.jpg

low giant

eac00ab2.jpg

mistakes that show how large the low giant is ( considering this drosera is about two inches tall and that the acual bulb/ center of the vft is 4-5 inches away.

000_1157.jpg

000_1150.jpg

Nice bog, i always wanted a bog, a pond, and a water lily, Nymphaea right?

Yes i love water lilies, it flowered this year. If you look closely i have a baby dwarf lotus living in the pond too. i have a bunch of utrics and i have ostcods and daphnia cultures in the pond.

Is there a pump or anything in your pond? How do you keep it from getting green?

Looking real good!

Utrics, daphnia, ostrocods, and snails all help keep it clean and clear. (anarchis and cabomba caroliniana also are huge algae competitors!)

An added bonus is that i harvest the extra daphnia, snails, and ostrocods to feed my utrics (daphnia+ostrocods) and my other plants (snails).
The snails daphnia and ostrocods reproduce extremely quickly and I use 1'x1' fabric to harvest them. During winter I harvest daphnia and put them in small jars and feed them daphnia and they reproduce fast enough to be fed to plants weekly.

btw do you really race in those big scary dangerous suicide machines? Sure it may be fun and fast but
confused.gif
too many people die in racing than to my liking.
smile.gif

Nothing as expensive as the 787B in my sig. But I do attempt suicide in my RX7 from time to time at the track. I can't count the number of "stupidly close calls" I've had. One of these days it'll prolly kill me, but untill then I'm having a blast.

BTW: Are those snails really small and black? My pond has tons of those along with lots of fish I never feed but it still stays green. I'm gonna look for some daphina and ostrocods to add to mine.

I tink fish will eat daphina and ostrocods, anyway, apple snail rule!, maybe if you install a UV filter it will stay clean a lot!, chet them out, ones only can be used insede a house, bu ttheres ones for ponds, but UV filter will kill anyting small enough to get in it, Good luck,

I thought about getting one of those but they are sooooo expensive!! I still hopeing to find a good deal on e-bay.

I got my ostracods and daphnia by going to a lake and collecting a gallon of water with a bucket and leaf muck using a pooperscooper I use for ricky (my dog)
Once you add it to a pond the daphnia and ostracods appear everywhere.

True, they are expensive, do you try a expensive brand of activated charcoal?, they are good, i use coralife, maybe you can make a filter w bacteria and charcoal, maybe sand?, well noting more to say, good luck, oh sorry to post may post abouth other stuff 7santiago.

7santiago -
Real nice setup, real happy-looking plants.

Back