What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian peat bog

Kinda like a sump to see where the water level is at and doubles with an overflow tube. Very nice! I like it alot!

Dustin

What's the black tube for? Is that so that soil doesn't come out with the water? The black tube is a kind of... filter? That's pretty interesting if that is how it works.. What's the black tube made out of?

no he uses it as a way to more easily regulate and see the water level of his bog....as well as an easier watering devise that doesn't cause soil erosion.

Ahh that was actually what I thought it was at first.. but I thought since the drain tube and the black tube were so close together that they... "worked together" my bad.

Nepenthes gracilis is right.

Yay, more snow (march 18):

tourbmv7.jpg

How cold does it usually get over there in Canada?

I don't know for other province, but for Quebec (Quebec city):

Right now (18 march, 20:29): -5 C or 23 F
And in February we had -37 C or -35 F for 4 days.

Ok then we have a little warmer here in sweden :D
How do you drain it ?
Except the little plastic pipe on the pic,Can you drain the whole bog with that pipe?
Also did you make your bog perfectly horizontal?

The drain pipe is interesting but makes it look funky.
From my recent education on the Drosera sites in South Africa it seems that the plants occur on slopes, either sand banks or hillsides. With your bog you could have filled it up to the top and then build a mound where you planted all the plants. On looking at your plantings I noticed that you have sphagnum around many plants. I have found that sphagnum can literally drown the smaller carniovores such as Drosera. In checking the South African populations and from my memory of the Drosera occurring in a bog up in Northern California, Drosera does not grow with mosses but may grow on liverworts though these too could overwhelm the Drosera. Even Sarrencia purpurea can be grown over by the moss. Growing above the water level would be one way of forcing the moss to not be so luxuriant.

Except the little plastic pipe on the pic,Can you drain the whole bog with that pipe?
Also did you make your bog perfectly horizontal?

Yes and yes.

I only let the Sphagnum grow around Sarracenia. Drosera have their own 'territory' to grow, without moss. I can't build a mound, because it will dry during summer (25-30 Celsius).

what is the absolute coldest it gets there?

Absolute zero.

Just kidding, with the wind factor: -35 C for 2-3 days each winter.

Dom,

Great cool bog. :banana2:

Have you considered non-CP bog plants into your backyard bog??

Things like cranberry, bog clubmoss, bog violet or orange milkwort?

Those might really add the perfect "authentic bog" appearance to your project.

Something to consider..........

Keep up the good work! :)

That may be the only time I've heard of Darlingtonia dying from exposure to cold weather.

By the way...those intermedia are great. They are so red. Where did you get them? I want some.

I'll add cranberry to my new awesome peat bog (working on it, but it's a secret). Fresh cranberry are sooo good!

For Drosera intermedia, it was a seeds exchange.

How about some updated pics.

Only when it will be finished... (1 month)

June 5 2007: Last pics of my old peat bog, I'm moving it at my father's house. Seems like a few purpurea survived. Here's the list of what survived (unlike last year, I didn't protect my peat bog agains't cold with a plastic sheet and dead leaves). The result is...quite interesting. Looks like I'll have to protect it each winter.

Dionaea muscipula: 2 alive (4-5 dead)
Drosera filiformis: dead (Whyi!? My favorite drosera, noooooooo!)
Drosera rotundifolia: alive
Drosera Binata: dead
Drosera intermedia: a few death, but still alive
Utricularia livida: dead
Utricularia intermedia: dead
Pinguicula grandiflora: dead(gemmae rotted)
Sarracenia Danas delight (wrong identification of leucophylla): Alive
Sarracenia oreophylla: Alive, making a flower
Sarracenia judith hindle: Alive
Sarracenia pupurea: a few death, but will survive
Sarracenia minor: Alive
Sarracenia flava (2 clones): Alive

Tourbiere.JPG

Rotundifolia.JPG

Purpurea.JPG

Oreophila.JPG

Wow.. that's a lot of losses, but a successful experiment I'd say. At least you know that you'll have to protect it next winter. I wouldn't really expect the U. livida to survive since it's subtropical. Did it survive last year? That's pretty awesome if it did.

Back